+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Home readers should be sent home below instructional level as @harvs said. The aim of home reading is to build enjoyment and stamina through enjoying to read.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We always sent the children home with readers that were two levels below their instructional level. This is so that reading at home is fun and parents can work on comprehension rather than struggle with decoding.
    We also moved on from assessing students on Pm levels onto another kit as we found the comprehension questions with PM were not in depth enough and lots of children were excellent readers but lacked deeper comprehension skills. This definitely became as issue in year 2 and up.

When assessing reading there is a formula that it used to give you the overall percentage. You then need to take into account the comprehension.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your responses guys.

I'm not talking about home readers. I'm more interested in how the schools assess whether they're ready to move up. For example, the school says DS is in level 12 readers and sends home level 10 readers, however at home he's reading level 17 books easily and understands/discusses it in detail. Just wondering whether I'm missing something.

I should add that we read a lot in our house and our son loves reading. He finds it easy. That's not my concern at all.
    Last edited by Acadaca; 04-06-2014 at 23:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Does the school use PM or are you using PM?

I find PM readers are easier than other texts at the same level.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the school is using PM. We are in Queensland. As far as I know that's the only system that's been mentioned. What other would they be using?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    I think the school is using PM. We are in Queensland. As far as I know that's the only system that's been mentioned. What other would they be using?
    Well we don't just use PM readers at my school and the school my daughter goes to, they use many different kinds of readers that have all been levelled.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 05-06-2014 at 17:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well we don't just use PM readers at my school and the school my daughter goes to, they use many different kinds of readers that have all been levelled.
    But when you say a child is reading at level 9 which level are you talking about?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some schools base their levels on Reading Recovery levels which are slightly different to PM levels. If your son is reading a level 17 easily (is he reading PM at home?) then it might be worth having a chat to the teacher.

Me + DH = DS1 (6), DS2 (2) and #3 due September 8th

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    But when you say a child is reading at level 9 which level are you talking about?
    At my school, we train reading recovery teachers every 2 years. All the teachers that were trained sat down and levelled all the readers we have. We have a lot of readers at my school and they're not all PM.

I just did a load of running records last term for the year 5 and 6 teachers and used the PM kit, but they might use different readers or school magazines for their guided reading activities in class.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We use the PM Benchmark kit for determining levels but in class and for home reading we use all sorts of different reading material that have been "leveled"