+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help from Primary Teachers Please. :-)

What do kids have to do to get to the next PM reading level? Can they stumble over uncommon words or do they have to get everything very fluently? Are they allowed one mistake?

I know they need to be able to comprehend and understand inferential meaning. What are good examples?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like my kids to be able to read at an easy level (over 90% accurate) with reasonable fluency and phrasing. If they don't have the phrasing and fluency it can sound robotic or like they are just barking at print.

The comprehension needs to be there also. Questions usually just relate to the text. They usually ask an obvious one, a "hidden" one and an opinion one "head/heart".

Not sure if that's helpful or not!

Me + DH = DS1 (6), DS2 (2) and #3 due September 8th

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on a few things. The number of incorrect words, fluency and comprehension. They are able to make a few mistakes.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    90% accuracy or it's too hard.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I think with PM readers if the fluency and accuracy is there then it would be the comprehension questions at the end holding them back. Having casual chats about other stories you read together or movies you watch is a good way for kids to start paying a little more attention to what they are reading/watching. Also, covering up some words in the book and asking them to predict what that covered word might be is another useful strategy...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wouldn't get too caught up on levels. The main point of reading is enjoyment and understanding.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

harvs  (04-06-2014),Mod-biscotti  (04-06-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (06-06-2014),Sonja  (04-06-2014),Stretched  (05-06-2014),zooey  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree Big Red, but when you're learning to read its important to get books that challenge your skills and help to improve your reading ability.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    I agree Big Red, but when you're learning to read its important to get books that challenge your skills
    I really can't agree.

When kids are learning to read it's far more important that they are developing a love for reading. That they are reading for enjoyment and pleasure! It's just so important, and that they are making meaning from what they are reading.

We want them to feel successful, not challenged.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

babyla  (04-06-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (06-06-2014),Stretched  (05-06-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    I agree Big Red, but when you're learning to read its important to get books that challenge your skills and help to improve your reading ability.
    Are you talking about home readers atm? Because we usually send readers that have been introduced that day to the student and they've read it a couple of times at school for precisely the reason Biscotti mentioned - so they will have success outside a school context that will foster a positive attitude towards reading and build self-confidence. Sometimes we will send books a couple of levels lower so that they can achieve this.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

babyla  (04-06-2014),Mod-biscotti  (04-06-2014)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Acadaca - my suggestion would be to forget the PM benchmark level (and I know that is what you were specifically asking about) and just focus on enjoying reading with your child.
    Make sure your child sees YOU reading for pleasure (book, magazine, newspaper). Tell them what you what you were reading about, tell them why you found it enjoyable.
    Read with your child. Read to your child. Don't stop reading to them once they have learnt to read. Read everyday, make it fun, make it enjoyable, make it a time your child looks forward to and can't wait for.
    Make sure your child has a wide variety of books to read and to read with you. Explore lots of genres together. My six year old loves cook books (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree lol) and we quite often read recipes together

Hope that helps :

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (06-06-2014)