+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wisdom teeth

I have been putting it off for ages but looks like I am going to have to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. Has anyone had all 4 done at once? What was recovery like? I can have top 2 removed in the chair but bottom ones have gone sideways into my jaw and will have to be done in hospital.
    Any tips??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH had all 4 surgically removed under GA just before Christmas. His recovery was pretty good - from memory about 4 days of feeling pretty knocked about and sore, but feeling back to himself after a week. He kept ice packs strapped to his jaw 24/7 for the first 3 days and kept on top of pain killers. He got very little swelling and no bruising. He lived on protein shakes and ice cream for 4/5 days, then started eating soft food. His info pack said he could start eating soft foods after about 2 days, but he didn't really feel like it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am a dental nurse and have also had all 4 wisdom teeth out. If you have to go into hospital anyway for the lowers they may as well take the uppers out at the same time. Having them out in the chair (not what I had done but have assisted in many of these procedures and watched DH have his out in the chair) can sometimes be pretty full on for a patient. Even though you are completely numb there is a fair bit of pulling and pushing and noises when the extraction process is going on. They can give you sedation if you need it.
    The recovery all depends on how hard they were to get out. I had all 4 removed under general anesthetic and took about a week for swelling and bruising to subside. They will give you plenty of anti inflammatory drugs and pain relief but everyone is different. Eating will be a bit of a challenge at first but it gets easier and things will heal quite quickly so long as you keep it all really clean. anyway hope this helps, Goodluck! x

Me: 28 DH: 33
    DS born 29/9/13 IVF #1
    Truly Blessed

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TeamCarts For This Useful Post:

candemum  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. Would you recommend getting all 4 out at once or 2 at a time? I'm still breast feeding so want be doing anything till I stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If your under GA then do all 4. Then you only have 1 recovery and no need to have the procedure done twice. Depending on where you get them done you will usually have day surgery fees and fees for the anesthetist so better off only paying once! Then it's done

DS born 29/9/13 IVF #1
    Truly Blessed

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeamCarts For This Useful Post:

candemum  (04-06-2014),mkj  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay 4 at once I suppose get it all done at once. I have 3 kids 4, 2 & 6 months do you think my husband would have to have time off work to help with them or would I be fine myself to look after them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow, you will have your hands full You will need help the first day or two. If your husband is available to help I would take him up on it, especially the day after incase you are on the strong pain meds. (Obviously you won't be BF anymore)
    My advice would be if you have the choice, try for a Friday surgery then at least you might have help over the weekend and hopefully feeling a better by the Monday.

DS born 29/9/13 IVF #1
    Truly Blessed

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TeamCarts For This Useful Post:

candemum  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely have my hands full, that's why I keep putting it off. It feels like I'm always pregnant or breast feeding and my mouth hurts more when I'm pregnant. Thanks for all your advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No worries, my pleasure

DS born 29/9/13 IVF #1
    Truly Blessed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had all 4 out under GA about a month or 2 ago. I found it pretty good. I had them out on the Tuesday, went home that afternoon. Had my XMIL pick the kids up from school, pick me up, then we all went home. I had some Panadeine Forte and went to bed. My mouth was numb until sometime through the night from all the local they give you. MIL stayed overnight, took the kids to school on Wednesday, and also picked them up that day. I had Panadeine and Nurofen regularly, even if I wasn't in strong pain, I just thought I'd better keep it under control. MIL took the kids to school again on Thursday though I probably would have been ok to do it myself. Then Thursday afternoon I picked them up, took them to swimming lessons etc and was fine from then on.
    I would recommend you having someone to help you look after the kids.

I really didn't have that much pain, a little bit of swelling, and no bruising. I ate puree foods for about a week, then soft food for another week. The most annoying thing I found was that once the swelling inside my mouth went down, I was left with holes in my gums that food got stuck in. I used mouthwash to rinse them, and then at my check up two weeks post-op the dentist gave me a syringe to flush them out. The holes are slowly starting to close now.

Good luck!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

candemum  (04-06-2014)