+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Which car for a large family?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section!

We currently have a 7 seater Kia Rondo and while its a brilliant car, its not practical for a large family due to lack of space (with all 7 seats up there is absolutely zero boot space- can only *just* fit a single umbrella style stroller in), there is no ventilation in the back whoch gets very hot and uncomfortable for the kids, no sliding doors means its difficult for the kids to get in and out of the third row, and even 2 compact baby seats hardly fit in the middle row (which also means the kids in the third row have to climb over the seat to get into the third row).

My dh and I are tossing up between he Toyota Tarago Ultima and the Kia Grand Carnival Platinum. At this stage we are leaning more towards the Tarago even though its significantly more pricey than the grand carnival, as it has more features (eg dvd player in the back for the kids- we do a fair bit of long distance travel).

Does anyone have either of these cars, and what do you love/hate about it? Our biggest needs are-
    •ample boot space with all 7 seats up
    •ventilation in the back 2 rows
    •ease of access to third row
    •ability to fit multiple baby seats (3x baby seats and 1x booster seat)
    •fuel efficient

We are going to the dealership next week when dh gets home to have look and compare the 2 cars, but would love to hear other owners thoughts

Thanks
    me + he = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (May 2014) + sil (1997)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    subbing, would love to hear we have a Pajero and although I love it ZERO boot space with back seats up and with number 4 on the way trying to convince DH for a carnival

Thanks
    Reviews
    Karnivals are fine IF you buy them brand new. As soon as that warranty expires ditch them though before you're in for some big mechanical bills. Toyota you can't go wrong with for reliability and build quality. So I'd go that direction if you can afford it. I had a Chrysler Grand Voyager myself. Soooo many cool features but parts can be rather expensive. Main reason I went for it was the sliding doors were on both sides.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Demonica For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
    Karnivals are fine IF you buy them brand new. As soon as that warranty expires ditch them though before you're in for some big mechanical bills. Toyota you can't go wrong with for reliability and build quality. So I'd go that direction if you can afford it. I had a Chrysler Grand Voyager myself. Soooo many cool features but parts can be rather expensive. Main reason I went for it was the sliding doors were on both sides.
    Yeah I have heard from a few people the older models are crap. We would be getting a new/demonstrater one though. We are definitely leaning more towards the Toyota though. We looked at the repayment amount and it works out about the same as what we are paying a month now, maybe $50- $100 more at the worst. We were also looking at the Dodge Grand Caravan, but its just that bit too big for my liking.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    The new 2014 Honda odessey looks like the have ironed out the kinks due to boot space when baby seats are attached...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post
    The new 2014 Honda odessey looks like the have ironed out the kinks due to boot space when baby seats are attached...
    Not a fan of the Odessey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have one but have looked at the Ultima, it's soooooo lovely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dodge is up there with Jeep with parts prices. Can be a couple weeks wait if the part isn't in Aus.

I guess it all depends on how long you want to keep it for. Toyota is definitely known for doing the big kms without too many hiccups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
    Dodge is up there with Jeep with parts prices. Can be a couple weeks wait if the part isn't in Aus.

I guess it all depends on how long you want to keep it for. Toyota is definitely known for doing the big kms without too many hiccups.
    Yeah we ruled out the Dodge as well.

After speaking with a friend who has a Tarago, we will be definitely going with it! We do a fair bit of long distance driving (well, did when we could actually fit in our current car). The nect car we get (so the Tarago), will be our car as long as it keeps running!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Demonica  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great choice!! New cars are so exciting

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Demonica For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (05-06-2014)