+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Kids having trouble making friends their own age

DS (8) has just started at a new school and is struggling to make friends. He is an only child of a single parent. I'm not sure if its his personality or the fact that he was/is around adults a lot of the time but he just doesn't seem to connect with kids his own age- often gravitating towards the older kids.

He is in yr 3 and has told me about 3 seperate incidences.

1. He went up to some yr 5 students who were playing pokemon and asked to play with them. They told him to get lost. (He went and told his teacher they were mean to him)

2. He tried playing tag with some kids in his own grade. He counted to 30 and one little boy said he has to count to 10. DS said he had already counted to 30.....
    Also- DS feels that this one little boy keeps going after him to tip him. I'm not entirely sure this is an exclusion thing though as DS is not the most sporty and might just very well be the slowest out of the group.

3. Some yr 5 girls came up and asked him if he wanted to play tag with them after they saw he was all alone. He went and played with them instead.

When I picked DS up of an afternoon- I found him sitting by himself and reading his book.
    When I picked DS up from after school care, he was upset because he had been playing soccer and another kid slide tackled him and than declared it was his penalty. DS said "But you slide tackled me- how is that your penalty", and then got upset.

I'm just unsure what to do. Anyone else's kid like this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think if you are worried you should have a talk to the teacher. It can be really hard for some children.

Th at said maybe wait a little while to see if he settles in first.
    What was he like at his old school?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We are going through something quite similar at the moment with Mr6.
    He loves bigger kids and is really impressionable and it's getting him in trouble at school... My sons school doesn't have a primary and infants separate playground like some schools so he goes and tried to play with much bigger kids that just get a kick out of getting mr6 to do things to amuse them.
    They dared him to pull his pants down at kids which got him in trouble, the handed him a stick and encouraged him to fight a big kid who also had a stick. This resulted in my son having a hole inside his ear from where a splinter went in..

After consulting his year adviser and class teacher, we have put some strategies in place to keep him away from bigger kids, encourage play with his kindy friends and reward positive playground interactions.

Fingers crossed it it all goes well for both of our kids, it's horrible when there are any kind of issues at school..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to oozzle For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    I think if you are worried you should have a talk to the teacher. It can be really hard for some children.

Th at said maybe wait a little while to see if he settles in first.
    What was he like at his old school?
    Yes, I'll be speaking to the teacher on Thursday when I go in. Not sure how much he can do though.

Was thinking some play dates might be in order, and perhaps finding out what the latest fad is in the school and buy that for him as a bit of an in.

He has always struggled with kids his own age. He has always gravitated towards the older children. He had a few friends at his old school in his grade but there were still struggles- he never really had a bestie or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Poor little guy. My son doesn't have a best friend either. I think it's because he's like an only child, and he's quite quirky. Most kids like him a lot though however his teachers noted every year that he's a loner.

I worry about bout it, but he seems ok.

I hope your son settles in and feels included soon.

What city do you live in?
    Last edited by sockstealingpoltergeist; 05-06-2014 at 23:43.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

It can be hard.

My DD's best friend moved away at the end of last year.

and so far this year 2 of her other close friends have also moved. Your heart just breaks for them when you ask who they played with and they say "no one"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (05-06-2014)