+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Does anyone else use a dummy? I have been using one and sometimes DS likes it, other times he doesn't, but I have noticed he's wanting it a lot more the past few weeks for sleeping and I am thinking it's probably causing more harm than good...

How do you settle your babies without using a dummy or feeding to sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Does anyone else use a dummy? I have been using one and sometimes DS likes it, other times he doesn't, but I have noticed he's wanting it a lot more the past few weeks for sleeping and I am thinking it's probably causing more harm than good...

How do you settle your babies without using a dummy or feeding to sleep?
    I think you'll find there's a lot of parents who sit on both sides of the fence on this one. Whilst I understand (and respect) people's decision not to give their LO a dummy, personally I swear by them. All three of my babies had dummies. The first didn't take one until 7 months old (didn't matter how much I persevered in DS taking one, he just wasn't interested). The day he took one, he finally slept through. The girls have like theirs from the start. We've had no issues with them waking because they had fallen out etc. I don't know whether that's because they could fall asleep without one at times (and resettle). DS threw his in the bin at 2 1/2 (I waited until it was his choice), dd1 was weaned of hers at 18 months (she just never asked for it so we just stopped giving it to her) and dd2 still has hers (13months). We have used our dummies as a sleep aid only. So, they only have it once they're in the cot and ready for sleep.

Sent from my iPad using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, my ds1 has had a dummy since the start too, and this is what I used when I night weaned him at 10 months, before that I think he only had it for day sleeps. He's 3 now and still has it.... I don't know how to wean him off it now! He loves the darn thing!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 never took it. DD2 is a fan. Last week I was going to drop it in case that was causing the night wakings, but she's settled a bit now so I'm going to keep it for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I use one. He uses it to first fall asleep at night but doesn't need it after that unless he wakes around 6am and I'm trying to stretch him to 7. He has it for naps, sometimes I think it's an issue because when he transitions sleep cycles he wants it again but at the same time he's been starting to sleep longer and transition more on his own so I think that may have been more of an age thing.

We're moving right now and once we get settled I'm going to start using the 50/50 love to dream. I'm interested to see if he'll start putting it back in himself or suck his thumb (which he's been doing during the day). He only has the dummy for sleep. He's been pulling it out and in more and more when I'm getting him ready to sleep.

As a nanny I've helped toddlers get rid of them so I'm not too worried about that part. My best trick was having one who was obsessed with the rubbish truck and men give it to them, they let him throw it the back of the truck. At nap I reminded him what we did and he just went to sleep.

I have friends that they've caused problems for and others who think they're a godsend once they can put them back in themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Thanks, my ds1 has had a dummy since the start too, and this is what I used when I night weaned him at 10 months, before that I think he only had it for day sleeps. He's 3 now and still has it.... I don't know how to wean him off it now! He loves the darn thing!!
    Hey hope you don't mind me replying again even though I don't have a 4mo! My DS gave up his dummy at Easter age 3.5 yrs. He loved it. But was causing issues as he kept asking for it when he was tired even though we only wanted him to have it for sleep. Caused tantrums! So we did the dummy fairy trick. You heard of it? Only as it was Easter we adapted it and said the baby bunnies needed the dummies and he tied them to his swing set in the garden before his arvo nap. When he woke he found an Easter egg in return and a note from the bunnies. He was thrilled. And never asked for the dummy again. I was astounded, he was so hooked on that thing! Went to bed not even asking for it. But it took longer for him to settle to sleep as he would usually relax by sucking the dummy and now he was more wide awake. But it was still MUCH easier than I thought it would be.
    My 10 month old has never had a dummy which I was happy about at first as she was fine without it, but then she started waking to BF every hour and yeah, tried a dummy but she wouldn't take it. Still feeding her 3-4 times a night now, more comfort sucking than anything so I would prefer she had a dummy!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (23-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Havent had time to read dummy comments but we took ds dummy away it helped a lot. He slept through last 4 nights and last night he was up all night again but I didn't change anything feel as though I'm going nuts

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Should say I took his dummy away weeks ago

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mmm I don't know if this is coincidence or what, but I used a 'wrap me up' or 'love to dream' swaddle last night - I had been using ergo cocoon and woombies.

Anyway he seemed to have been more settled, when he woke I put the dummy back in and he wasn't squirming round as much as in the ergo and woombie. Maybe coz his arms were up?

He still woke for 3 feeds though. But he also slept through till 8!! So did I thanks to DH. I fed him both boobs at 5 or so though, I normally only do 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps thanks for the dummy info I will try that