+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 4 month DS

Omg! Seriously how can a baby go from being such an easy settler and great sleeper to completely difficult!

DS, since he was born, was a great sleeper! I didn't teach him to self soothe, he just did. His usual sleep was like this:

Wake in the morning berween 6-8am, down again for 2-3 hrs around 1-2 hrs after waking up. Then awake again round lunch time, then down again for another sleep for about 2 hrs, then from around 2:30/3:30 he would be awake all arvo till bedtime, usually between 6/7pm.

He would then sleep until anywhere from 11:30pm to 4:30am. Each night was different but NEVER EVER in his life woke before 11:30 for a feed. IF he did, it was an easy rock of the bassinet or pop dummy in and he would sleep bother 1-2hrs before waking for his first feed for the night.

He would wake 1-3 times per night (usually 1-2 times).

The past 2-3 weeks has been an utter nightmare!

He has been waking anywhere from 9:30pm, then every 1.5-2 hrs for feeds!!! Which literally means hes waking up to SIX times per night and I just cannot get him to settle without feeding him! It's ridiculous!!

I can't take it anymore I have got so much other crap going on in my life and I really can't handle even less sleep I'm at breaking point

I have no one to help me

I use to be able to pop dummy in or rock his basinet to settle him and now I can't, he just starts to cry really loudly, which then wakes DS1.

What on earth would cause him to go from such a good self soother and sleeper to a nightmare sleeper and non existent self soother?

How do I get my easy going baby back?!?

I am not phased too much about daytime sleeps but night time is killing me.
    I know there is a 4 month sleep regression but surely it doesn't complete change a baby?! It's like he has no idea how to self soothe anymore

He constantly has his hands in his mouth and I'm using an ergo cocoon wrap which is driving me insane as his hand keep coming up to his face knocking the dummy out or he just spits it out.

I'm tempted to start wrapping him really tight with arms down again but I feel bad doing that and don't even know if it will make a difference

I've checked for teeth and I see 'lines' but it's hard to tell if it's teeth as the lines have actually been there since he was born and if he's anything like DS1, there won't be any red cheeks, fevers, not too much dribble etc. I never knew when teeth were coming with DS1, they just appeared (in hind sight I do recall him being being a bit unsettled but not to this extent)

What am I missing?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    4 month sleep regression hun just ride it out - it sucks I know! DD went from self settling to needing to be bounced on a fitball for every.single.sleep. Got to a point where she would only sleep in arms for a nap. Lasted until she was 5.5 months. She's now 9 months and awesome at self settling again. Sorry I can't be more useful!
    Last edited by LaDiDah; 04-06-2014 at 03:45.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My 4 month old is doing the same. He had a week where I thought he was going back to normal but the past week has been awful again. He's not fussy, just waking a lot to eat but I don't really try to resettle him either as I've read that's it's best to just do what they need and ride it out, that you can't sleep train a four month old. Sometimes I'll just pop the dummy in and it will give me 30-60 more minutes but most of the time I just feed him, he has both breasts so is obviously hungry, not just snacking.

I've stopped swaddling him as he's sucking on his hands/thumb more and more and I figure having access to his hands can only help with potential self-settling. He's knocking his dummy out but he only uses it the beginning of the night to initially settle so I don't mind if I have to go in there a couple times to pop it back in. He's also moving around heaps in his cot so I don't want to risk him rolling for the first time and not having his hands free to push himself up to breath.

He went from sleeping 6-7 hours the first part of the night and then waking once or twice after that (so 6.30-12.30 and then maybe 3 or 4 and then up at 6.30 or 7) to now waking between 9.30-10.30, then 1, 3 or 4 and 5 and 6.30 or 7. Torture! Last night I was able to skip the 1am by putting the dummy in and placing my hand on his arm (he sleeps in a side-car bassinet next to our bed in the middle of the night). I was able to doze but didn't properly sleep. I'm feeling like death, waking up every morning saying I'm trying formula but then I just keep going, hoping it will pass soon.

I have a few sleep regression articles saved to my phone to keep myself going, reassuring myself that it's normal...

Eta: I also gently hold his arms down for him when I first put him to sleep, after a few minutes he relaxes and they stay down.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 04-06-2014 at 04:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ThTs sounds exactly like how my DS is hollygolightly!! The sleeping patterns are almost exactly what my DS is and was doing!

Pls tell me it goes back to normal!!

DS1 was a crap sleeper from day one so I never experienced this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really does get that bad! I remember bawling my eyes out one morning due to exhaustion during the 4 month regression phase!
    It lasted around 6 weeks I think?
    Then you think you have the hang of things....and the 8 month sleep regression hits lol.
    But yeah, the 4 month regression was the worst. Waking 8+ times a night. Napped a lot in the stroller.

Look after yourself. It does get easier! You're not doomed to have another crap sleeper xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    He just woke at 9pm! Wtf?! I left it to DH figuring he just needed to be resettled and I went to have a shower and get ready for bed. Got out of shower and he was absolutely screaming to be fed!

I think it's my fault. I had started doing a 50ml bottle of ebm before bath and then two full breasts after and that was working for a while. When it stopped working I upped it to 100ml but I reckon that probably made him too full to have a proper feed after bath so he was starving by 9.

Is it wrong to hope he'll now sleep a few hours?????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Argh!!! This is ridiculous!! It feels like my nipples are going to fall off! 9:30,11:30,1:30,3:30,4:30,6:30!!!!!!!!

Tried resettling with a dummy a couple of times only to be screamed at.

He's feeding SO much that my boobs feel empty ALL the time!! They are not even getting a chance to refill!

I'm feeding him a bit extra during the day to see if that helps but no, of course it's not. Why would it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Ladies I'm feeling your pain! My nearly 15 week old is going through the regression and it sucks! He was going to bed at 7pm, waking once around 3 for a feed then sleeping through until 7am. Then a couple of weeks ago he started waking 2-3 times per night. Last night it was: 12 (feed as wouldn't resettle) and 3am (managed to resettle) then 6am (feed then back to bed quickly).

I know it's not as bad as some but I'm up for an hour each time and the sleep deprivation is enough to make me cranky! Bub won't take a bottle so hubby can't help out... I Went to bed at 10pm last night and hubby tried to have a crack but I had to say im too tired... !

Sometimes bub doesn't need a feed but if I don't get to him quick enough he can't resettle.

I've also found he is obsessed with his hands... Wants to suck them all the time. And he fights to get out of his swaddle (halo sleepsack swaddle) sometimes. I am considering just putting him in a grobag with some of those sleepy wings but .... What if that makes it worse??

Arghhhhhhh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hugs all of you. It does get better. I know not all of you are fans of bed sharing but it was a lifesaver when my dd2 hit that 4mth nightmare.

The best feeds for bub to boost mums milk is that feed 3-5am as your hormones are highest.

This will pass!

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (04-06-2014),VicPark  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post

This will pass!

When?????

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (04-06-2014)