+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The sooner the better!

At 3 and 5, my little ones love going to the dentist. They have had their teeth counted, flossed and polished. Having been since they were 2, they are both very comfortable with the whole experience.

Having the hygienist chat with the boys about how and when to brush their teeth and the importance of a good diet also reinforces what we teach (and sometimes get resistance to) at home. They also walk away with a goody bag (usually a toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste) which is a lovely and exciting bonus.

Taking Ds2 so young turned out to be beneficial as he has a condition that means his teeth are more susceptible to cavities. Having this info early has been advantageous.

Good luck!
    Last edited by TimTamsandTea; 03-06-2014 at 23:45.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TimTamsandTea For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    First time was last week. DD is nearly 3. The dentist said they should start at 1 years old. It's also so they get use to the dentist.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoCo For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! I will make an appointment soon. It sounds like starting early is the way to go. If I'm taking dd for her first dentist visit I probably should think about her first haircut soon too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I will be booking my kids to a pediatric dentist too! Thanks for all the tips

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of mine were 3

9. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds is 5 in 2 weeks and only had his first visit last week.. Oops! But to be fair, I was confident his teeth were fine (they were) and a dentist friend had briefly looked when he was younger. I knew he wouldn't comply any earlier so I didn't bother.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS had his first appointment just after his 3rd birthday. It was an emergency appointment after a huge fall with his mouth taking the brunt of it.
    He has a check up tomorrow (6 months later) and he is really excited to go.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @dollypops have you taken your dd to the dentist yet? I took my kids and it wasn't good news. Both have holes in their teeth. Dd doesn't need anything done but I have to brush more thoroughly and floss regularly. Ds unfortunately does have decay in his front teeth so will need general anesthetic and work done
    Wish I had taken them both sooner.

I wouldn't have even known about the holes. They are not visible and just look like a shadow in the gaps of the teeth.

Hope your visit will be much better than mine. At least the dentist was lovely though and really good with the kids.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (17-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    @dollypops have you taken your dd to the dentist yet? I took my kids and it wasn't good news. Both have holes in their teeth. Dd doesn't need anything done but I have to brush more thoroughly and floss regularly. Ds unfortunately does have decay in his front teeth so will need general anesthetic and work done
    Wish I had taken them both sooner.

I wouldn't have even known about the holes. They are not visible and just look like a shadow in the gaps of the teeth.

Hope your visit will be much better than mine. At least the dentist was lovely though and really good with the kids.
    No I haven't taken her yet! We have been busy with other drs appointments and tests. I'm sorry that you got bad news on your kids teeth. I better not put it off too much longer then. Our medical bills are really adding up at the moment so I hope dd doesn't need dental work too! I'm glad you liked your dentist though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    7.5yo DD is going for her second day surgery visit in 6 months for more work done under a general (she's unlucky, nothing that we did/didn't do!). It definitely pays to get your kids in the habit of going to a dentist half yearly and the earlier they go, the better. Our dentist recommends around 4 years old to start half yearly visits