+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Working from home hubbers with small children

How do you do it?
    I work on site from a desk (3 days) but often have work to from home.
    I can never do this while the children are around / awake. I have to wait until after bedtime.
    It's just too hard to concentrate while they are playing, fighting or demanding my attention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm going through this atm. It's a bit of a nightmare somedays. And I don't like that I never get to 'leave' work. It's always there haunting me from down the hallway.

I squeeze in as much as humanly possible while dd is happily playing or sleeping and sometimes will sit her in the high chair with toys or crackers to keep her contained somewhat while I get a few things done.

I'm definatly not as productive as when I used to have a whole day of just work alone, in an office, no kids. But it gets done if I chip away, bit by bit. Also I keep any simple emails or communications to when I'm out and about. I can send an email from my phone while i wait for ds at school or while dd is eating breakfast etc.

It's not perfect. But we need the income and day care isn't an option.

I just make sure - well I try- to put my work down once we are home from school until after bedtimes and also I plan days where work is not happening so I can spend time playing with dd and doing other things I enjoy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try to get some emails in during mealtimes (bub in high chair) and naptime, but other than that I'm often working 7-10pm on the computer. There's no way I could put in an 8-hr day with the baby around. Even with a flexible schedule, my 21 hrs a week with 2 days of daycare is a struggle sometimes.