+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help to give up bottles

My DS is 3.5 and still has 4 - 5 milk bottles a day. They are more so a comfort for him.

He will eats 3 meals plus snacks and water/juice. (He may not be eating enough for his age? Picky eater)

Some examples on what other active 3.5 y/o's eat in a day and ideas on getting rid of the bottle would be great.

He already has special water bottles

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you talk to him about being a big boy and giving up the bottles, then let him go and pick a special toy to have instead of them? We got DD1 to give up dummies by taking her to a toy shop, letting her pick a toy and pay for it with all her dummies. That way the dummies were handed over by her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3.5 year old has 3 meals a day plus 3 snacks a day plus fruit. He's not picky anymore eats pretty much anything we eat and he loves fruit and veggie.
    Not a milk fan but after talking to him about being a strong boy and strong bones he's finally happy I drink a cup of milk.
    I think at this age talking to them is a good idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's a lot of milk - my 3.5 year old only drinks water and has 3 meals plus morning and afternoon snacks - what exactly does your DS eat?
    The milk will definitely fill him up - be careful not to let him drink milk with meals as it can hinder iron absorption - so far today DS has eaten:

Brekky - 2 egg pancake with tomato, basil and cheese and a mandarin

Snack - apple and a yogurt

Lunch - turkey , cheese and spinach toasted sandwich , a plain mineral water and some mango gelato

Afternoon snack - air popped. popcorn and some carrots with the guacamole I made for dinner

Dinner - will be fish tacos ( flathead/cheese/lettuce/guacamole /capsicum) will probably eat 2, 3 if really hungry

He rarely asks for food after dinner but if he does I usually only offer an apple or kiwi fruit

Thanks
    Reviews
    All I did with my 4 was switched to non leaking sippy cups instead of bottles and it only took a couple of days for them to get over not having bottles anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    That's a lot of milk - my 3.5 year old only drinks water and has 3 meals plus morning and afternoon snacks - what exactly does your DS eat?
    The milk will definitely fill him up - be careful not to let him drink milk with meals as it can hinder iron absorption - so far today DS has eaten:

Brekky - 2 egg pancake with tomato, basil and cheese and a mandarin

Snack - apple and a yogurt

Lunch - turkey , cheese and spinach toasted sandwich , a plain mineral water and some mango gelato

Afternoon snack - air popped. popcorn and some carrots with the guacamole I made for dinner

Dinner - will be fish tacos ( flathead/cheese/lettuce/guacamole /capsicum) will probably eat 2, 3 if really hungry

He rarely asks for food after dinner but if he does I usually only offer an apple or kiwi fruit

That sounds like a fair bit more than DS eats.

Today he had

Breakfast - half english muffin with cheese and bottle

morning tea - something provided by daycare usually fruit and toast

Lunch - lasgagne, yogurt and half a banana

Afternoon Tea - snack from daycare

Dinner - Gnocchi - 5 pieces and cheese

Plus his milk spread throughout the day along with water