+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default DD6 fractured her wrist should she still go to school?

Dd fractured her wrist at school on the flying fox yesterday afternoon. I originally thought all will be ok and she could go to school fine but she seems tender and to need help for some things despite it not being her dominant arm. She got very upset when she realised she would be limited in what she can do at playtime and sport, she is a very active child. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to keep her home a few days until swelling and pain subsides?! Or should I send her and tell her and the school to call me if she isn't coping? What would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If it were my kid I'd keep her home while it's still so sore. Will she get a cast?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I would keep her home for a day or two.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (03-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she's casted, I'd send her to school. My DD fractured hers in march and was casted - once that was on, the novelty of it with her class/friends took over so she was able to be distracted.
    On the couple of weekends we had with the cast, she kept getting frustrated (well, quite frequently actually, not just the weekends) about all the things she couldn't do.. Being at school essentially helped pass the days for her (she's six by the way).

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I keep her at home for a day or two to keep an eye on her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys! She has a cast on. I'm really in two minds but not sure if I should ask her as I think I know what the answer will be
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think I would keep her home for a day or 2 and perhaps go into the school and get some work- that way I can see how she's going to cope with doing it, pass the time etc while still doing it all at her own pace.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep I'd keep her home for a day or two, so that the pain and swelling is less and so that she's used to the cast. It might be a good idea too to pack her lunch in her lunchbox today and see how she goes opening and closing it, also putting her bag on her back, library books in bag, opening/closing pencil case. Then you can identify what she might need help with and it also won't be a rude shock to her at school if she has trouble.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If she's casted I would send her off to school with a permanent marker and she'll be so popular she'll forget all about the discomfort. The kids will be bending over backwards to help her open her lunch box or pack her chair away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd keep her home for a day or 2 depending how sore it is. Even in a cast it's pretty painful in the first little while. If she bangs it or over uses it it would be pretty sore. She's more likely to keep it elevated resting at home too. Swelling adds to the discomfort. I would say at least one day then reassess.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to veggiemama For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (03-06-2014)