+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tutor Recommendation for Primary School - North Sydney area?

Hi there,Can anyone recommend a great tutor for DD (Year 1). We live in North Sydney area and would prefer for her to go outside the home so as not to be distracted. She needs some help to consolidate her weekly learning. She's young for her class (compared to her peers, with some girls 11 months older than her..) and seems to lack concentration and focus in class. I'm afraid she's slipping behind with the basics. Any advice / recommendations welcome. I'm keen to get her started straight away. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jane0404; 02-06-2014 at 16:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I don't live in Sydney but are you after a private tutor only?

I would highly recommend Kumon Centres for maths basics and mastery. Most schools use a spiral approach to teaching maths, which can be detrimental to many students. I'm not sure about their English but I'd hazard a guess that it's not bad either. They'd learn reading and comprehension skills.

The focus is on lots of repetition until it is completely consolidated. My girls were doing really poorly in maths, barely able to add etc. They simply weren't getting enough time to practice skills at school before they'd switch to a new area. They both responded quickly and rapidly to Kumon. My eldest has gone from one of the bottom of the class to one of the kids at the top. I'm very confident that it wont be long till the youngest follows suit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many thanks - I'd heard about Kumon but hadn't really considered it - but will certainly take a look at it now. I agree - they don't seem to get the chance to just practice what they are learning before moving on to a new area. Thanks again.