+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow. That's a pretty good percentage. It still doesn't guarantee a sticky bean tho as we all know unfortunately. I've known a couple of girls through forums that have cycles cancelled due to eggs not even fertilising so if your getting past that point then your lucky!

Are the stats 60% of all couple will leave the IVF process childless?

Me 33 PCOS
    DH 38 Low Morphology 😔
    TTC#1 since Oct 2012
    Clomid #1- 50mg 11/11/13 - No ovulation 😔
    Clomid #2- 100mg 26/12/13 - Ovulated yay!! - BFN
    TTC Break over
    Nurses appt 28th June
    ICSI #1 - July sometime

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, that's right, you still have to have an embryo that is going to go the distance. It must help somehow though....

I've got no idea about 60%, that's a pretty depressing stat though! But who knows how many couples give up after 1 or 2. Or who get preggers naturally. I think when I was in my late 30's it was a 20% chance of a baby per cycle. I think it shocked me at first but now I think it sounds quite good So really you would want to budget for at least 5 cycles (at that age). When I first went into it though I thought we had just been unlucky and that IVF would work in the first 2 rounds. I was ready to give up pretty early back then but I've read of so many women on bubhub getting preggers on their 4th,5th,6th etc cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Bongley I know right. Have you ever been on IVF friends the forum? The signatures are very long and a little scary! It's a very supportive place tho so I recommend it.

Just out of interest how do you manage your friendships with infertility? It's a complete mine field with some knowing and some not. I also have had so many pregnancy announcements in the last 18mths ( guess its my age bracket ) but so many people get wrapped up in there happy news that they forget some of us are struggling I actually tried to tell someone last night that she was a little insensitive in her news delivery and she totally blew up at me so now I feel I've lost a friend. Sucks its so easy for some people and so hard for others.

Me 33 PCOS
    DH 38 Low Morphology 😔
    TTC#1 since Oct 2012
    TTC Break over
    Nurses appt 28th June
    ICSI #1 - July sometime

Thanks
    Reviews
    @amiracle4me Yeah, the friendship side of things was really worrying. One of my best mates got preggers had her kid and was trying for number two in the time I was trying. I stopped looking at facebook. Almost all of my friends are younger than me however and are only now trying as well. It could have been a lot harder.
    I was on the verge of seeing a counselor as I couldn't see how I could maintain relationships with my friends when they were going through pregnancy and growing their families. Luckily I made it in the end and now unfortunately they are going through their own hardships. As mums (and dads) get older I guess it is going to be more common.
    I'm sorry you and your friend fell out. Someone who hasn't been through infertility probably won't understand how utterly wrenching it all is. And while you need to celebrate expecting a child I think you really need to be sensitive to the people around you too. If I do manage to get preggers in the next few months it will be really hard to tell my 2 friends who have been trying for a while now as I know it will feel like a punch in the guts to them (while trying to be happy for me)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Bongley it's a tough one isn't it. I have been toying with coming off FB for a while but I'm a huge addict and have friends all over the world so never had the confidence to do it. After scrolling through one too many pregnancy announcements and baby pictures my friends reaction was the last straw so I've been off for all of three days and so far so good
    It's almost quite nice not to have painful news dropped right into my living room and I feel like I'm mentally a little less cluttered. We'll see how I go lol.
    I actually find everyone in oz very supportive but people in the UK not so much. Maybe it's the distance. Do many of your friends here know?
    I have a counsellor I see on and off and its really helped. Not just about baby stuff but other support also and it really helps. I've heard RPA has one but no one offered her to me yet??

Me 33 PCOS
    DH 38 Low Morphology 😔
    TTC#1 since Oct 2012
    TTC Break over
    Nurses appt 28th June
    ICSI #1 - July sometime

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, it's definitely good to have a break from FB. I find that constant connection to peoples 'life highlights' to be quite annoying sometimes, especially when you are having a few bad days/weeks and don't really have anything positive to post yourself. Or when you are in IVF limbo land and you feel that life has stalled and everyone else is moving on. Of course you don't see other peoples struggles.

My closer friends here in Aus know. I don't really say too much until I have an embryo on board and just warn them that I'm likely to drop off the radar for a while when it hasn't worked, they are very supportive but I think after you've done it 8 times like I have it's not really news anymore and I don't think people understand how it actually gets much harder as time goes on. I don't have many friends left in the uk now anyway and I don't really tell my family in any detail either.

I think you'll probably get the number for the counsellor at your nursing interview, you get a booklet with all the details. I might give them a call soon as the negativity is starting to bleed into my everyday life. I feel like I'm walking around with a little black cloud above my head that's getting bigger as time goes on. Can't wait to finish with all this business and get back on track.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry you feel like that @Bongley
    It can steal your life if your not careful. That's what I noticed last year. All that anger and resentment just built up and I was a horrible person to be around. I honestly was so depressed that I couldn't actually remember who I was pre TTC.
    It's like grief. You feel anger, then sadness and then just numb. I reckon it's made me grow up a whole lot quicker and I feel a lot more serious these days. The crap thing is that you don't know the outcome and can't ever really heal and get over it..
    Day three off Facebook and I must say that I'm enjoying the peace and quiet lol..no pregnancy/baby news for a whole three days. Wish I'd clocked onto this sooner!

Sounds like it might be worth you hang a chat to someone. Would you postpone your next cycle for a bit?

Me 33 PCOS
    DH 38 Low Morphology 😔
    TTC#1 since Oct 2012
    TTC Break over
    Nurses appt 28th June
    ICSI #1 - July sometime

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Bongley
    I've just found this really helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah3haD-MYo0&sns=em

Me 33 PCOS
    DH 38 Low Morphology 😔
    TTC#1 since Oct 2012
    TTC Break over
    Nurses appt 28th June
    ICSI #1 - July sometime

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there @amiracle4me how are things going with you? I broke my elbow last wednesday and I've not really been able to type very much, plus I've been zonked out by pain meds. All on the mend now though and back to work next week hopefully.

I spoke to a friend of mine today who saw Dr Lok and she swears by him. Then again she has achieved two pregnancies so I'd be pretty happy with that too. I described your experience and she said that sounded like him, she would go in with a list of questions and he'd be pretty good about answering them.

How are you going? I'm waiting for my period next week then hopefully will start my next cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Hi @amiracle4me and @Bongley I just wanted to say thanks for this helpful thread. I'm just about to start my first cycle with Dr D at Genea but considering RPA for future cycles (when we run out of money). It's helpful to get a sense of the comparison between public and private systems. I'm in the inner west so RPA is my local hospital. Good luck with your next rounds, hopefully they are lucky ones.