+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Text books in High school

Hi

I was wondering if text books are generally used in State High schools in most subjects? My partner is currently studying to be a high school teacher and at the school where he does prac. they don't have text books. He teaches year 8 & 9. I find this very concerning. I would have thought that text books would be run of the mill in high school. I

I have also heard that some high schools have text books for science but not for history. So there may be a text book for one subject but not another...

I believe that good text books are a very important part of schooling - in fact I'd like to see them in primary school.

Thanks for feedback

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had textbooks for maths and science (borrowed from the school and returned at the end of semester/year) and for history, geography etc rarely used any, maybe one part of one book for a lesson.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

heated  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Textbooks get outdated within a couple of years.

My uni textbooks I used in first year are no longer used in the same subjects as they are out of date.

A great teacher is much more important to learning than a textbook.

Why are textbooks so important?

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No textbooks for my early teen (other then the novels they need for english) my much older teen does have texts for chemistry, physics and maths.

Why do you find it concerning?

As a teacher I find teaching from a textbook very dry, very boring, often outdated and can cause the content to be very dull. It's a boring way to teach to be honest. And if I am bored, I can only imagine how the kids feel!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (02-06-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (02-06-2014),PomPoms  (02-06-2014),smallpotatoes  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 2 highschool kids and I pay a levy for their text books which are provided by the school and have to be given back at the end of the yr....but I don't know what text books they have for what subject....a lot of stuff is now photocopied and handed out, or it's on the highschool laptop program-already installed in the pc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for responses. I think text books are a great reference. It doesn't mean that the lesson should always be constructed around a text book but they are good if you want to go over material or alternatively explore something in more depth. They also had good questions at the end which we answered and then shared with the class. I never found text books boring. My history text books were a very important part of my education. They were sequential and laid out in chapters that made history into an interesting story. I really liked that. It wasn't a bit here and a bit there, pulled out of nowhere without seemingly any relation to the previous lesson. It followed a timeline, important dates included.

Far from boring, my children respond really well to this type of learning. They want sequential content and knowledge not bitsy stuff which they have experienced thus far in history at primary school. I like the sound of "Big History."

I was hoping for something different in high school. I guess I'll just buy them some text books and they can read at leisure. As for them changing all the time - yes history would need to be updated from time to time but apart from that I don't see the need for updating. The landing of Captain Cook still happened in 1770 etc. Why would maths and English text books need to be constantly updated? The same algorithms exist as do the way we punctuate, rules of grammer etc....?

Another good reason is that teachers don't spend so much time finding their own resources, which may be dubious as opposed to well written/researched text books, and photocopying them. Finally, when a substitute teacher comes in they can teach the class where the teacher had left off. No confusion about what has been taught previously.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My BIL is currently in year 12 and they no longer have physical textbooks. Instead they have a school issued laptop/tablet that has all of the required resources in digital format. It stops the age old "I forgot my textbook" and it also saves them lugging around heavy school bags filled with all their textbooks.

I was seeing a physio all through High school after a car accident in year 8 because carrying my school bag with text books etc just exacerbated my whiplash/back injury.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

heated  (02-06-2014)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Heated - I have read most of your posts concerning your children's education and I think it's great that you are so interested, many parents are not so much.

But I have been a teacher for many many years now and have seen many changes but honestly, the way we teach has changed so much from when we were at school ourselves and we have moved on from reading a chapter in the text, answering the questions at the end of the chapter and then sharing with the class.

I see you are in Qld, ....are you familiar with the C2C or have you read up on acara?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (02-06-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (02-06-2014),PomPoms  (02-06-2014)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, history doesn't change, but our understanding of it certainly does. I think it's a great thing that children aren't taught one 'textbook' (literally) version of events. In year 12 history I remember we had not one but 4 or 5 references that we used all the time, and were expected to use double that for assignments. It is very hard to critically analyze a text if you don't have any others to compare it to.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (02-06-2014),smallpotatoes  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH is a high school languages teacher and they don't use textbooks. Instead they use laptops/tablets (depends on the school) and powerpoint. The school he is teaching at at the moment use tablets and they get copies of the powerpoint presentations (I think). They don't even use books to write in anymore! DH isn't a huge fan of the tablets though as they are often very distracting (kids are hard to control when they have so many apps/games at their fingertips and he struggles with the younger high school kids to keep them focussed/close apps etc), they are also difficult to type on - he thinks they should have laptops if they are going to use technology everyday in the classroom.

Languages/history/maths etc you could use the same textbooks for a number of years, however with new methods of teaching I think textbooks will very soon be a thing of the past. Science books in particular get outdated every single year so there is little point buying those. I finished school in 2002 and a lot has changed in the last 12 years that's for sure!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (02-06-2014)