+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it is the psychological impact on people that really cements for me that conscription really isn't sensible.

People who join the defence forces undergo quite rigorous psychological testing before they are accepted. That's not to say going to a war zone isn't going to affect them negatively, but there's a better chance they will be able to cope. They also have access to services to help them cope.

You wouldn't get that with conscription. Very sensitive people would be subjected to the culture of the forces and potentially to war zones. Complete nutcases would be given access to weapons. It's a recipe for disaster.

The whole concept is a popular thing for backbenchers to trot out though. The oldies love it (back in my day young people were disciplined blah blah) and it gets the member/senator more national - or at least State - media exposure than they are accustomed to.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-06-2014),Lottiemum  (04-06-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (03-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The military is not just about serving during wartime. They also serve out of wartime.

Every disaster fire/floods/etc the military have flown in and helped out. They set-up temporary accommodation to help people out when they lost their homes. They help with the search and recovery. There is a ton of stuff the military does that does not involve fighting.

There are life skills and experiences that will help people outside of service. While I don't believe in forced wartime service I don't necessarily disagree service with non-wartime activities like helping other people where the forced service will result in many finding their feet and learning skills they can use in the community once their service is complete.

This service could also include optional tertiary education which may enable someone who doesn't have the means to educate themselves a foot in the door.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xanthic For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (03-06-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-06-2014),snowqu33n  (03-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthic View Post
    The military is not just about serving during wartime. They also serve out of wartime.

Every disaster fire/floods/etc the military have flown in and helped out. They set-up temporary accommodation to help people out when they lost their homes. They help with the search and recovery. There is a ton of stuff the military does that does not involve fighting.

There are life skills and experiences that will help people outside of service. While I don't believe in forced wartime service I don't necessarily disagree service with non-wartime activities like helping other people where the forced service will result in many finding their feet and learning skills they can use in the community once their service is complete.

This service could also include optional tertiary education which may enable someone who doesn't have the means to educate themselves a foot in the door.
    Firstly apparently we have been at war for the past decade or so at least.
    we have lost innocent lives and no doubt been the cause of many innocent lives lost
    Secondly during disasters whilst yes the military assist it is often left to the local authorities to clean up the mess or SES / Red Cross. What if there's no disaster during your service year?

Why not just develop a voluntary program that's structured. Serving meals to the homeless, talking to the elderly etc

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-06-2014),Lottiemum  (04-06-2014)