+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 40 min nap cycle

Anyone have any tips to get bub to settle for a second cycle? Its getting so frustrating, he wakes up 40 mins on the dot every single nap and I can't get him back to sleep for a second cycle. He then fusses and carries on thinking he needs to be fed after only two hours.

How do I get him to have a longer nap and when did your baby stop feeding every 3 hours?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old? And do you use a dummy?

I tried hovering near babys bed after she had been asleep about 35 mins and when she began to stir i made sure dummy was back in (she always spat it out once asleep) and patted a couple times and usually that was enough to move her into the next cycle.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds was the same. Sometimes I would spend up to an hour trying to get him back down because I knew he was still tired, but unfortunately he had other ideas. Once he was awake he was awake. I tried moving his bed time and wake up time, I tried extending his wake periods, I tried many different settling techniques.. nothing worked for me except age. He seemed to grow out of it (crawling is hardwork!).
    How do you get him to sleep usually?

He was feeding 3 hourly up until he started solids, then it changed to 4 hourly. Everyone kept telling me to extend his feed time but he's a big boy and was hungry often.
    Good luck with the sleeping, sorry I can't offer much help. I hope you can break the cycle!
    Last edited by Koarlo; 01-06-2014 at 18:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nothing worked for me. When DS turned 5 months old it was like a switch had been flicked and he slept for more than 1 hour. I think he was ready then and I didn't need to do anything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If they are happy enough when awake and sleeping well at night, I would just put up with it.

All 3 of mine were exactly the same until they were on 2 naps a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son needed help learning how to nap for longer than one sleep cycle- I did the same as a previous poster said, I went in about 5 minutes before he would finish the cycle and pat his bum through it and he would stay asleep. After about a week I found I didn't need to go in there anymore

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    No way I would just put up with 40 minute naps what a pain in the @rse!

Catnapping can be a sign that bub is tired enough to nap but not tired enough to sleep. What are the timings of the day naps? More awake time between naps may help.

Also, how long do you let bub grumble before going in? Sometimes my bub will grumble for a couple of minutes and by the time I go in he is asleep again.

Good luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It depends in how old your bub is whether if it's a problem you can resolve (like VPs tips) or if they'll outgrow it. I found this website incredibly helpful

http://www.troublesometots.com/your-...the-short-nap/

My dd napped 40 minutes on the dot- never more and never less -for the first six months. Frustrating but at least I knew I had 40 minutes....ahh good times

Turns out I was putting DD down too soon (as soon as tired signs appeared as I was paranoid about her being overtired) . So yep, tired enough to go down easily but not enough to sleep longer than a cycle. But being overtired can cause it too lol.

Dd still was feeding 3 hourly until 8-9 months until I gave her a gentle nudge

Good luck
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 01-06-2014 at 20:31.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (02-06-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My DS catnapped for 40 minutes at a time. I tried all sorts including patting him through to try and get him into another sleep cycle. Nothing worked. I used to get so frustrated. Then I had DD and her sleep cycle was for 15-20 minutes and longed for 40 minutes.

How old is your DS?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    My DS catnapped for 40 minutes at a time. I tried all sorts including patting him through to try and get him into another sleep cycle. Nothing worked. I used to get so frustrated. Then I had DD and her sleep cycle was for 15-20 minutes and longed for 40 minutes.

How old is your DS?
    I got my babies the other way around so I love that my DS has 40 minute naps. They're such a luxury compared to my 1st!!

My advice, try some of the things here but don't spend too much time worrying if they don't work. Every baby is different.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (02-06-2014)