+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh why am I not surprised by this idea!

Bl'dy hell they don't even have the resources to do proper checking of people who receive government payments to make sure they're in the situation they say they are. Yet they propose drug-testing!

Yet another policy that is all about their attitude that welfare recipients are all loser druggo's rather than actual smart policy making!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband is a recovering alcoholic/drug addict. He was extremely high up in the railway earning $150,000+ a year and then got a positive drug reading. I came home with my daughter after getting her Santa photos done to find him od'd in our bedroom with a needle in his arm. We lost everything because of his addiction. He sold out belongings and stole a lot of money off his parents. He has been clean now and In aa and na for six months. My point being is that I have seen what someone will do to get drugs. I've actually surprised myself to think the drug testing for the dole will not help. People who are drug addicted will do anything to get drugs and cutting off the small amount of money they do get will just lead to more crime and prostitution. Also what happens if you test positive? Will that follow you everyone from then on even if you get clean and want to find a job etc?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mum2maisie For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (01-06-2014),beebs  (01-06-2014),PomPoms  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Let's face it this government is not introducing this because it cares deeply about the ice problem or drug addiction generally. If it did it wouldn't slash funding for mental health and hospitals.

This is purely and simply a way to cut benefits from a sector in society that needs support and help. Simply taking away money will not overnight stop their drug addiction without proper support facilities. I don't know what they do in NZ but I imagine there is an holistic approach to this yet it's still ineffective.

If this was part of a genuine package of drug reforms I wouldn't be so cynical.
    For goodness sake THIS government is not introducing anything just yet, they are merely reviewing the NZ model to see if it's something we may find valuable for the Australian welfare system. Way to jump the gun!

Personally I don't think it would work and I think it's the wrong way to deal with the drug problem we have in our communities. But I am glad that the government are trying to find ways to save wasted welfare payments - I don't like my tax dollars going into someone's arm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elle92 View Post
    Then they wouldn't have a problem with drug testing if their not on drugs .
    If it were me, I'd be offended and disgusted at the idea that I'm being 'big brother'd' simply because I'm receiving benefits! How completely unnecessary!!

I have no no problem with drug testing work for the dole though. Many workplaces do it... For a good reason.

The point? There needs to be a good reason to drug test people!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree completely with those that claim that it will just cause more crime.

I really feel the government haven't thought this through and innocent people are going to be at risk due to the governments ruthless stupidity.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Serenity Love For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessed Be View Post
    I agree completely with those that claim that it will just cause more crime.

I really feel the government haven't thought this through and innocent people are going to be at risk due to the governments ruthless stupidity.
    Im sure they have thought it through. They just dont give a sh1t unfortunately

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (01-06-2014),PomPoms  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Im sure they have thought it through. They just dont give a sh1t unfortunately
    You're probably right. I guess I am just living in hope they will think over it more and will decide to wipe the idea. The whole concept terrifies me as i worry about safety enough as it is!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I thought this was a Pregnancy and Parenting Forum. Threads like this tend to isolate people like me who are not "anti-government". Just saying.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Sorry not planning on derailing this thread but i couldn't not reply to this post. I come on bubhub for adult conversation and discussion. It PREVENTS me from being isolated.

Carry on ladies

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014),ChickyBee  (01-06-2014),HarvestMoon  (01-06-2014),Lottiemum  (02-06-2014),PomPoms  (01-06-2014),VicPark  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    For goodness sake THIS government is not introducing anything just yet, they are merely reviewing the NZ model to see if it's something we may find valuable for the Australian welfare system. Way to jump the gun!

Personally I don't think it would work and I think it's the wrong way to deal with the drug problem we have in our communities. But I am glad that the government are trying to find ways to save wasted welfare payments - I don't like my tax dollars going into someone's arm.
    Seriously? Are we not allowed to express a view on proposed policy now? Or only once it's in place?

C'mon you know exactly what I meant.

ETA. "My tax dollars". Love it.
    Last edited by Sonja; 01-06-2014 at 19:19.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014),ExcuseMyFrench  (01-06-2014),HarvestMoon  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    I don't like my tax dollars going into someone's arm.
    They are not your tax dollars! They belong to the government.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (01-06-2014),HarvestMoon  (01-06-2014),Lillynix  (01-06-2014),Purple Lily  (01-06-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (01-06-2014),ThreePeasPlease  (01-06-2014),Zombie_eyes  (01-06-2014)