+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    I'm assuming there is a reason why you and your colleagues are required to undergo drug testing (eg operating machinery etc) - I have no issue with that. The objective there is to ensure employees are capable and competent to undertake their work obligations in a safe manner. Recently my DF had to fire 3 employees because they drug tested positive and his workplace is no place for people who are not 'all there' - it's a safety hazard on many levels. The problem is the purpose and motive for wanting to drug test dole recipients. Why is this being suggested? What are they going to do with the information? Stop payments or offer comprehensive drug counselling and rehab? My guess is the former. What will that achieve? Well, the gov't can say they've 'saved' money (although I would argue it would be incredibly short sighted and takes no account of knock-on impacts) and are not supporting drug addicts.

I wonder how many bottles of wine have been bought and drunk by senior politicians on tax payer money...

Couldn't agree more regarding your points and those of other posters about the current government however I don't feel this is a good enough reason to throw the baby out with the bath water so to speak. I think drug policy in general has to change as we are far behind other countries in how best to manage these problems and sadly are developing some of the highest rates of usage in the world.

I hate to say it but this information may be a government plan to assess the problem, ie getting hard figures on rates of use etc so that specific groups can be identified and targeted for early intervention. Also there is an addicts register in existence of course however I really don't know whether identification through drug testing is going to end up giving you a label on some government database, presumably so, somewhere, and who knows where that could end up or who would have access to it, and this is a concern.

Will it be a good thing? Only time will tell, but I think that the unemployed are fair game for drug testing just like everybody else.

The times they are a-changin.
    Last edited by Butterfly39; 01-06-2014 at 11:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    We must undergo random drug and alcohol tests at work, I think you'll find most companies have it written in the rules.
    Yes it's rarely enforced but to get in we needed to pass a medical.
    If they can't pass the dole test how will they pass the recruitment phase.
    I think you have a point here. While I'm not sure if I agree with drug testing or how it would work, a drug addict surely can't really be considered a job seeker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought this was a Pregnancy and Parenting Forum. Threads like this tend to isolate people like me who are not "anti-government". Just saying.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I thought this was a Pregnancy and Parenting Forum. Threads like this tend to isolate people like me who are not "anti-government". Just saying.
    The thread is in the "Current Affairs" section.

Are you suggesting we should never discuss anything other than pregnancy and parenting issues? I have no desire to isolate people - absolutely not. I fully appreciate that this forum helps a whole lot of people connect with others. Gosh, it's certainly helped me over the years! However, some of us would also like to stretch the old grey matter upstairs and discuss complex issues that aren't directly related to pregnancy and parenting.

Don't forget there are people on this forum who are on the dole or who may have children or family members on the dole so this issue may potentially be affecting them.

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

amyd  (01-06-2014),Atropos  (01-06-2014),beebs  (01-06-2014),Blue Penguin  (01-06-2014),ChickyBee  (01-06-2014),ExcuseMyFrench  (01-06-2014),Justwant2beamummy  (01-06-2014),KaraB  (01-06-2014),Lauzy  (01-06-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (01-06-2014),smallpotatoes  (01-06-2014),TheGooch  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post

Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Were you on here before the last election? There was plenty of hate for the then current government expressed.

There are several parts of this forum I don't like so I stay out of them. But to be fair we are allowed to discuss areas outside straight pregnancy and parenting.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014),ExcuseMyFrench  (01-06-2014),Fashionvictim  (01-06-2014),PomPoms  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This thread is not anti government either. Rather anti stupid policies.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014),KaraB  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    This thread is not anti government either. Rather anti stupid policies.
    Well I did say I hate this government and I think Busy Bee might have expressed a similar view. So guilty as charged.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014),KaraB  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Well I did say I hate this government and I think Busy Bee might have expressed a similar view. So guilty as charged.
    Haha yes you both clearly stated anti gvt opinions but to me it doesn't make the thread anti government if there are ~20 posters and only 2 anti gvt posts?

anyway to answer VP's OP I don't think this could ever get implemented and would be a terrible "solution" to a real problem.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So more addicts will break into peoples houses at night kill the occupants in a drug induced psychoviolent manner to steal their stuff to pay for drugs

An elderly couple recently just got beaten to death for this reason.

Awesome.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They've been doing this in NZ for a little while now, so it would be interesting to see whether they have seen any increase in crime that can be related back to drug related welfare cuts?

The last thing I remember seeing about it was that they had only had a very miniscule amount of people actually test positive...which they said either meant it was deterring them from doing drugs, or there actually weren't many doing drugs to start with. Would be interesting to see whether there has been any further research into this as to whether it's been a deterrent or whether not many were actually doing drugs to start with? If not many were doing it to start with then it was a great big waste of resources and money!

PS. I'm to lazy to look this up myself :P

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app