+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    And there is a lot of employers of people in high paying jobs that do drug test their employees and people who have lost their jobs due to the tests
    Of course there is. But when people apply for jobs in those companies they make that choice. This is a simplistic solution to a complex issue. Simply drug testing welfare recipients and withholding their benefits if they fail will not address the root of the issue.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Even if that was the case, what do you think will happen if you drug addicts get their payment suspended? They will just clean themselves up, whilst most likely being homeless due to having no money? Or the more likely scenario, they will become full time criminals to feed their habit?

Quote Originally Posted by Elle92 View Post
    Are people not reading the article that was posted !?

The government would only look into you if you got a opportunity to start a job & the job required a drug test before you commenced work then if you refused or failed the drug test the government would say well you just missed out on a job because you either failed the test or refused to take it so they would then give you 30 days with their help to get clean and redo a test then if you failed you would receive a cut to your payment until your next drug test .

They are not going to just drug test everyone !!! For example if your employment agency got you a job on the mines you would need a drug test . But if you got a job at Coles you wouldn't need one !!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yeah let's target business and then see the economy go down the crapper ..
    It's not about "targeting" anyone, but rather getting big business and the very rich to pay their fair share. And they don't. There are plenty of countries who have a mining industry who get paid their fair share in taxes, we however pretty much pay the mining companies to mine here. Once the product is gone (coal, gas, iron) we will have *nothing* to show for it, except empty, barren and destroyed land. Government funding pays $650 to fill up those big trucks in the mines, that is tax dollars - wtf is that about? Meanwhile, Rienhardt is the richest person in the world and makes more money a minute than most people see in their life time. Very unfair for the average Australian who works hard, gets no perks or tax breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Whilst I agree there is no debt crisis, I do think there should be ways of helping long term unemployed people (without disabilities) have less reliance on welfare for all of their lives. But I have no idea what that is.
    I know that the Government is already planning this, but I think encouraging work places to employ older people on payments, especially women would be a good way to start. Making education affordable - so the total opposite of what the govt are doing now. Putting money into traineeships and apprenticeships instead of axing them - which is what the govt is doing.

Basically the opposite of everything the government is doing right now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Dreamer1  (03-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    no @VicPark I'm sure you wouldn't be happy to know that I am only paying .05% of income tax on my $180k salary?

Same goes for businesses... Why would it be ok for a business generating $27B of revenue in Australia to not pay any tax?

It is tax evasion and we should fight it. Actually I'm very glad that the ATO thinks differently from you VP and are investigating such frauds
    If you are talking about big business paying Absolutley no tax then yeah chase it down. If you're talking about the rate of tax for big business being too low then that's what I'm concerned with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you are talking about big business paying Absolutley no tax then yeah chase it down. If you're talking about the rate of tax for big business being too low then that's what I'm concerned with.
    No I'm just saying that all businesses should pay their taxes and took Apple as an example.
    They shifted the profit they made from Australian sales to tax heavens so that they didn't have to pay any taxes.
    While legal under the current law it is not right nor fair.

Actually TA and Joe Hockey put that issue on the G20 agenda.

My DH has a business and I have the skills to use the law to our advantage and avoid tax in Australia. Do we do it though? No. His business is wining and they are happily paying 30% on their profit.
    It's a virtuous cycle. The money gets reinvested in the country so that people have money to purchase our products and everybody wins

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    eBay and PayPal are two other prime offenders for structuring to avoid tax.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure how I feel about this idea.

I speak from personal experience in that my older brother was a drug addict and long term dole recipient.

He also dealt drugs and committed often violent crimes in his time. Spent years in and out of jail.

I'm undecided as to whether this would have helped or hindered him as he was a criminal anyway and I know for a fact that his dole money was shot up his arm.

Would something like this have forced him to clean himself up or commit more crime to fund his habit? I honestly do not know the answer to that.

Perhaps mercifully, we will never know the answer as he died of heart problems and pneumonia, complicated by his years of drug abuse at age 27. Never woke up on Christmas morning in 2001.

I think I will reserve judgement on this one.

Me + DH = DS1 (6), DS2 (2) and #3 due September 8th

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    Perhaps mercifully, we will never know the answer as he died of heart problems and pneumonia, complicated by his years of drug abuse at age 27. Never woke up on Christmas morning in 2001.
    how tragic sorry to hear about your brother.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah let's target business and then see the economy go down the crapper ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    I just heard on the radio news, they won't be going ahead with it.

Not because its unfair, but because they don't see enough cost savings in it - they're basically trying to definitely save money and this was floated as an idea, but rejected.

So watch this space, there will obviously be other ideas to cut it.

Which brings me to this question. What would you do to save money on welfare?

Whilst I agree there is no debt crisis, I do think there should be ways of helping long term unemployed people (without disabilities) have less reliance on welfare for all of their lives. But I have no idea what that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post

Me + DH = DS1 (6), DS2 (2) and #3 due September 8th
    So sorry to hear this Chippa

14. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    Most drug addicts would be more interested in their next fix than a feed though. Otherwise they wouldn't be an addict. Very sad.
    That's why I said IF they would help them to sort it out.
    People on the dole can't afford to be drug addicts, unless they're foregoing necessities, so it would be great of they had more access to help.