+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just to clarify (although it's probably pointless) I'm not an angry person at all, just don't like the overall vibe I get from a lot of the comments. Maybe I am being oversensitive. Anyhow I'm still completely baffled by how people were offended to my comment of "my tax dollars" as isn't that the truth? The government get their money from us all, so don't we all want to see it go to good places? Hospitals, education, and welfare of course, but I don't want to see it wasted either. Because it's for the benefit of all of us if it's spent correctly, isn't that why everyone is up in arms over the budget? And the fact that someone suggested that it actually isn't my money at all because I'm a sahm is completely offensive. Yes you are right smarty pants I am a sahm and it is technically my DHs money, but I consider what I do in the home a very important job, and therefore I see it as our income and not just his. I'm really surprised to see that sort of attitude on here, devaluing what sahm does is pretty low. And also I would like to add that my family did receive the baby bonus but as far as benefits go that is all. So no I'm not receiving welfare. Ok I'm out now, I should never have gotten involved in the first place because it seems like only one person (@VicPark) understood my point anyway. T

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @pegasus
    The poster I was responding to asked if people were not reading the article in the OP. My response was regarding that article which says-

"THE Abbott government is considering drug testing for the unemployed as part of a major overhaul of welfare."

And

"The Coalition says it is looking closely at New Zealand’s welfare system, which includes a tough approach to drug use."

So I don't think my comment that the govt are considering implementing something similar to NZ is that much of a stretch. I have read other articles on the subject, for the record, and haven't seen any mention of them looking specifically at other models of this plan except for NZ.
    Eta- I hope you're correct though, as they will see how ineffective, marginalising, costly and ridiculous such exercises have always proven to be.
    Last edited by Atropos; 02-06-2014 at 07:58.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    Just to clarify (although it's probably pointless) I'm not an angry person at all, just don't like the overall vibe I get from a lot of the comments. Maybe I am being oversensitive. Anyhow I'm still completely baffled by how people were offended to my comment of "my tax dollars" as isn't that the truth? The government get their money from us all, so don't we all want to see it go to good places? Hospitals, education, and welfare of course, but I don't want to see it wasted either. Because it's for the benefit of all of us if it's spent correctly, isn't that why everyone is up in arms over the budget? And the fact that someone suggested that it actually isn't my money at all because I'm a sahm is completely offensive. Yes you are right smarty pants I am a sahm and it is technically my DHs money, but I consider what I do in the home a very important job, and therefore I see it as our income and not just his. I'm really surprised to see that sort of attitude on here, devaluing what sahm does is pretty low. And also I would like to add that my family did receive the baby bonus but as far as benefits go that is all. So no I'm not receiving welfare. Ok I'm out now, I should never have gotten involved in the first place because it seems like only one person (@VicPark) understood my point anyway. T
    I don't think anyone devalued SAHMs. The point was that you yourself, as a Sahm, don't pay tax personally but were using that "my tax dollars" line. That does not detract from the value of being a Sahm. I'm not offended by your use of the my tax dollars phrase, it's just inaccurate. Not because you personally don't pay taxes but because they are not your (general your) dollars. You pay them to the government- they are no longer yours. It is government money. It's nothing to do with whether you are a Sahm or a doctor or a banker or whatever. Once it's paid- it's theirs. What they do with it is up to them- we have no say except at the voting booth. It's totally fine to have an opinion on how it's spent, for sure, but I (speaking for myself here) hate the phrase because it makes people feel they are being personally ripped off in some way or somehow affronted when the government spends money in ways they don't like.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have seen someone spend every dollar not on drugs or alcohol... but something else. They SHOULD do something about monitoring where it goes.

mother to a beautiful baby boy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I don't think anyone devalued SAHMs. The point was that you yourself, as a Sahm, don't pay tax personally but were using that "my tax dollars" line. That does not detract from the value of being a Sahm. I'm not offended by your use of the my tax dollars phrase, it's just inaccurate. Not because you personally don't pay taxes but because they are not your (general your) dollars. You pay them to the government- they are no longer yours. It is government money. It's nothing to do with whether you are a Sahm or a doctor or a banker or whatever. Once it's paid- it's theirs. What they do with it is up to them- we have no say except at the voting booth. It's totally fine to have an opinion on how it's spent, for sure, but I (speaking for myself here) hate the phrase because it makes people feel they are being personally ripped off in some way or somehow affronted when the government spends money in ways they don't like.

thankyou for for explaining that. I disagree but at least I understand. Although I do still feel that @BigRedV comment was offensive - she was suggesting that I have no right to complain about where taxpayer money is spent because I don't earn any. That devalues the position of a sahm IMO. You say you don't like the phrase because it makes people feel ripped off when the government spends money in ways they don't like, but I don't think it's the phrase that does that. It's the waste people don't like, people don't like money that is so desperately needed being wasted in general. People felt very upset about Abbott buying all those fighter jets and I often read "I don't want my tax dollars going on useless planes" and I think yeah that's fair enough I don't either! Any government wasting money is personal, it affects us all! The government are supposed to be representing "us", so to me the money they have is not theirs but "ours". The debt the last government got us in is now being paid back by the citizens of Australia, it's not being paid back by the government is it? I don't believe that once the money is paid it's no longer mine. It was my money at one point and it's been taken so it can be spent on bettering our country and therefore me and my family hopefully. If I pay for an item at the shops and it turns out to be a wasted purchase because the product is disappointing, I can still be upset that my money has been wasted! Regardless of that particular turn of phrase, the point was, was that it's a waste of welfare payments if it's spent on drugs.
    Last edited by GingerKat; 02-06-2014 at 08:31.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    thankyou for for explaining that. I disagree but at least I understand. Although I do still feel that @BigRedV comment was offensive - she was suggesting that I have no right to complain about where taxpayer money is spent because I don't earn any. That devalues the position of a sahm IMO. You say you don't like the phrase because it makes people feel ripped off when the government spends money in ways they don't like, but I don't think it's the phrase that does that. It's the waste people don't like, people don't like money that is so desperately needed being wasted in general. People felt very upset about Abbott buying all those fighter jets and I often read "I don't want my tax dollars going on useless planes" and I think yeah that's fair enough I don't either! Any government wasting money is personal, it affects us all! The government are supposed to be representing "us", so to me the money they have is not theirs but "ours". The debt the last government got us in is now being paid back by the citizens of Australia, it's not being paid back by the government is it? I don't believe that once the money is paid it's no longer mine. It was my money at one point and it's been taken so it can be spent on bettering our country and therefore me and my family hopefully. If I pay for an item at the shops and it turns out to be a wasted purchase because the product is disappointing, I can still be upset that my money has been wasted! Regardless of that particular turn of phrase, the point was, was that it's a waste of welfare payments if it's spent on drugs.
    While I understand where you're coming from, and can see how you have interpreted the comments as devaluing SAHM, the bigger context on Bubhub is that it is a phrase often used in conjunction with the phrase 'people on the welfare' ie 'why should *my* tax dollars go towards paying for some lazy so-and-so to sit on their bums getting drunk and not contributing to society?'. As a lot of us on here access welfare in one form or another it's a bit of a sensitive phrase to use. I know that's not how you used it, but it is very, very common here.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (02-06-2014),beebs  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    While I understand where you're coming from, and can see how you have interpreted the comments as devaluing SAHM, the bigger context on Bubhub is that it is a phrase often used in conjunction with the phrase 'people on the welfare' ie 'why should *my* tax dollars go towards paying for some lazy so-and-so to sit on their bums getting drunk and not contributing to society?'. As a lot of us on here access welfare in one form or another it's a bit of a sensitive phrase to use. I know that's not how you used it, but it is very, very common here.
    Yes I agree- that's my other beef with the phrase but I couldn't think how to phrase it!! It's the attitude that do often accompanied it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gamermummy View Post
    I have seen someone spend every dollar not on drugs or alcohol... but something else. They SHOULD do something about monitoring where it goes.

And ive seen people with high paying jobs spending all their money on drugs and gambling while their child goes without food and warm clothes.

if we monitor one, we should monitor all and since thats not a realistic idea, then I dont agree with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (02-06-2014),beebs  (02-06-2014),Busy-Bee  (02-06-2014),Mod-Degrassi  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gamermummy View Post

So if I work full time and blow my money on drugs while my kids go without- that's ok? Because it's my pay? Gimme a break. You can't police how people spend and as I've said, and others have said, targeting welfare recipients makes little sense considering illicit drug use is lower than average among welfare recipients (as evidenced every time they've tried this scheme in other countries).

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-06-2014),Mod-Degrassi  (02-06-2014),peanutmonkey  (02-06-2014),PomPoms  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    And ive seen people with high paying jobs spending all their money on drugs and gambling while their child goes without food and warm clothes.

if we monitor one, we should monitor all and since thats not a realistic idea, then I dont agree with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Snap

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (02-06-2014)