+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Seriously? Are we not allowed to express a view on proposed policy now? Or only once it's in place?

C'mon you know exactly what I meant.

ETA. "My tax dollars". Love it.
    hang on a minute! You are allowed to express your opinion when did I ever say you couldnt? What gets me is how you are acting outraged that this horrible government would impose such an awful social injustice on every person receiving welfare. But, they haven't implemented anything, they are just looking into a scheme that NZ have! Fair enough if they introduced this scheme, then everything you have said is totally valid, but you are using this as an excuse to government bash over something that it hasn't even done (and probably wont) which in my eyes is a waste of time. Go ahead a bash on the things they have actually DONE by all means.

and I'm not sure what everyone is so up in arms about me saying "my tax dollars" - where do you think the government gets the money to pay welfare from?? Everyone's tax dollars. And if my hard earned money is going to drug addicts that spend that money getting high, then why wouldn't I welcome an investigation into how to minimise this?

i don't think you ladies realise that you seem to have a bit of a bully mentality. I am like you allowed to express my opinion, but I don't think the sarcastic and quasi-aggressive tones are completely necessary. Politics is very personal I get that, but I have read many of these threads before and stayed out of it because of this exact concern - feeling ganged up on. And before someone posts some snarky post about me being over sensitive or something similar to that lovely photo VicPark put up in response to a pp then please go ahead because you will prove my point exactly!
    Last edited by GingerKat; 01-06-2014 at 20:36.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

J37  (01-06-2014),Sharlee32  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Do you know what percentage of those in NZ who actually tested positive or refused to be tested?

0.3%!
    did you actually read my post??? Totally missed my entire point! I couldn't care less about the NZ stats because not only do I think it's a totally inappropriate scheme for Australia I also don't think the liberal government will implement it. My point was that everyone was crying about how awful and predictable that this was of the liberal government to implement a terrible program like this, and my point was was that they aren't implementing anything yet!!!! They are just having a look at it. Big whoop, governments look into doing all sorts of things. I didn't realise my point was so complex or hard to understand.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    The LNP government are a bunch of morons for considering such a policy.

Is that better?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014),HarvestMoon  (01-06-2014),Purple Lily  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @GingerKat why are you so angry? If we're all wrong and the government never introduces it, great.

My comments about the government and it's intentions behind such a policy are in response to pp saying it'll help drug addicts get off drugs. To me that's fallacious given how many programs have their money taken from them. That's what I was responding to. Chill.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    GingerKat is everything OK? You seem overly angry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    did you actually read my post??? Totally missed my entire point! I couldn't care less about the NZ stats because not only do I think it's a totally inappropriate scheme for Australia I also don't think the liberal government will implement it. My point was that everyone was crying about how awful and predictable that this was of the liberal government to implement a terrible program like this, and my point was was that they aren't implementing anything yet!!!! They are just having a look at it. Big whoop, governments look into doing all sorts of things. I didn't realise my point was so complex or hard to understand.
    Yes I did and I found it offensive that you suggest your "tax payer dollars" are being injected into someone's arm.

You're a sahm, right? Funny you're complaining about your tax dollars.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (01-06-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (01-06-2014),Serenity Love  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Has no one mentioned how this turned out in the states? The American Civil Liberties Union sued the state of Florida as drug testing people not reasonably suspected of using drugs is unconstitutional. For the time the law was in place, something like 2.5% of all recipients tested positive (mainly to marijuana) and were therefore cut off from benefits for 12 months. the other 97.5% tested negative. All had to pay for their own tests and if negative were reimbursed by the state (at a MASSIVE cost all up). The percentage of those testing positive was significantly below the population average (which is somewhere around 9% from memory) meaning that welfare recipients are generally far less likely to be drug users (perhaps because they can't afford drugs even if they want to??)
    Considering the similarity in culture and society in general to ours I would hazard a guess that introducing this here would be:
    A- unfair, marginalising, humiliating and a breach of the recipients privacy
    B- costly
    C- pointless- it's already been demonstrated these programs cost significantly more than they save and since we are in such a financial crisis it seems counterproductive

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014),bunkx  (01-06-2014),Busy-Bee  (01-06-2014),Mod-Degrassi  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Maybe gingerkat is saying by all means have your say about the suggested new policy .... But don't get your knickers too much in a knot as the Government haven't even said they will adopt the suggestion.

As for the ''my tax payers" thing... I think you can say this quote when expressing your concerns if you pay more tax than you receive in benefits from the government.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Maybe gingerkat is saying by all means have your say about the suggested new policy .... But don't get your knickers too much in a knot as the Government haven't even said they will adopt the suggestion.

As for the ''my tax payers" thing... I think you can say this quote when expressing your concerns if you pay more tax than you receive in benefits from the government.
    I don't care how much anybody earns, I don't think anyone should be complaining about their tax dollars!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

17. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (01-06-2014)