+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Should new kitten sleep in DD's room?

Hi all, looking for some advice from cat owners - is it ok for a brand new kitten to sleep in my 7-year-old DD's bedroom? I'm a bit worried about the kitten being active during the night and keeping DD awake. Also is it safe for the kitten to sleep on DD's bed or could it get squashed accidentally?

Please excuse my ignorance, we have never owned a cat before! We're planning to adopt a kitten from the RSPCA in a few weeks time - exciting but a big step. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My experience with kittens is that it will happily sleep with her all night, cuddly and warm and not keep her up. But her squishing him is a legitimate worry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My cats have always been active first thing in the morning so therefore locked out of my bedroom. I think it depends what you're comfortable with, lots of people sleep with cats fine but I don't like the restriction of an animal on me or early morning wake ups.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Cheese View Post
    My cats have always been active first thing in the morning so therefore locked out of my bedroom. I think it depends what you're comfortable with, lots of people sleep with cats fine but I don't like the restriction of an animal on me or early morning wake ups.
    True! I find the cats are annoying to whomever feeds them. So my cats wake me early to be fed but if DH is home by himself they leave him alone until he wakes. You can teach them to sleep at the foot of the bed or maybe buy a cosy cat bed that sits on a nightstand so you don't have to worry about her squashing him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much peeps, very useful advice! I was a bit worried that kitty would wake DD up at midnight wanting to play and then she'd be tired at school next day. Early morning wake ups would be fine though! DD is definitely not a morning person (takes after her mother ha ha) but given it's the kitten waking her up and not Mummy nagging her to get ready for school, I'm sure she'll deal with it ok! She'll be the main one who feeds the kitten too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a cat when I was 7 who slept with me every night. =D If I moved, she'd move to fit around me then snuggle back up and go back to sleep. She slept with me from when I got her (about 8 weeks old) until she died when I was 14, so she was about 7. She and I just got used to sleeping together and often she would come and get me for bed time. She occasionally got up to roam around of a night, but I slept with my bedroom door open so she could wander whenever and she always had biscuits, so her waking me up to feed her wasn't really a problem. Only time she woke me up was when someone had left the laundry door closed and she had to go to the toilet.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Jennaisme your cat sounds gorgeous. I'm sorry she's no longer with us but it sounds like you have some nice memories!

We live in Nth Qld so the aircon is on in DD's bedroom every night and door is shut, but that will probably encourage the cat to stay in there all night where it's nice and cool - we had a dog who would herd us towards the airconditioner and then point her nose at the remote control as if to say 'come on, it's bedtime, turn the cold air on so I can go to sleep in comfort!'

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do. She was my best friend for a long while.

It's not just the issue of the kitten possibly keeping your DD awake but in particular young cats need a constant source of water (though all do, especially in FNQ) and constant access to a loo so if you have the door closed for your DD, the cat litter and water bowl would need to be in there as well. However, if you own the house the other option is to get a cat door for your DDs bedroom door so the cat can come and go as it pleases.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you should keep her in your laundry or in the same area where she can access her litter tray until she knows that's the place her tray will always be otherwise dds bed might end up being her litter tray

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild_flower For This Useful Post:

aquarius  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @Jennaisme and @Elle92, sounds like very good advice.