+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler won't sleep in cot

I really need help! My 18 month old is a shocking sleeper. He wakes through the night, and is now at the point where he's wide awake and standing up at 1am! My partner started bringing him to our bed at 1 and he would sleep with us (he would also wake up another 2 or 3 times so it made sense... It was the only way we could get sleep!) Now he won't even go to bed in his cot! During the day or at night. He will only sleep in the car in the day and in our bed at night (but will fight it for an hour). I just do not know what to do anymore. When I leave him to cry it out he becomes absolutely hysterical and then vomits. Please please help with any ideas or advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd went through this at 18 months also so we put her into a toddler bed. She loved it. Took 2 days of persistence to get her to stay there but she slept perfectly again. Something to do with them wanting independence at thay age I think. Maybe worth a try?

Tying for blossom #2 because the first one (July 2012) is so amazing!

Plus 1x angel blossom who will always be in our hearts (Feb 2014 - 6wks)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replying! I wondered about changing to a toddler bed, but the problem is he wakes in the night and stands up screaming... So if he was in a bed I think he would just get up anyway?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought the same but she woke up screaming because she felt trapped. She took to the toddler bed perfectly. But our cot converts so it was easy. You could try just taking one side off maybe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Alternatively is he teething? What if you try nurofen before bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd also recommend trying a toddler bed. Of course you'll have other issues because they can get out whenever they want but it might help.

Our boy (20 months) is in a toddler bed in our room and goes to bed around 7:30 but doesn't always go to sleep right away. Some nights he cries and I have to go in and resettle him, put him back into bed. Other nights he gets out and plays with some soft toys and books on a blanket on the floor by his bed and then he puts himself back into bed. We have a night light (solar fairy lights) placed out of reach so it's not too dark.