+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Lawyer to help with Centrelink Debt - does anyone know of a lawyer who does Centrelink cases.? Please help cos I am so frightened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know anything about centrelink debt but depending on the level of debt you have and the circumstances around it you'd want to make sure you can win before you get a lawyer, they can chew up money at a rapid rate and could be worse than just paying off your debt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Awoawo View Post
    Lawyer to help with Centrelink Debt - does anyone know of a lawyer who does Centrelink cases.? Please help cos I am so frightened.
    Maybe wait for the letter and see what it says. Centrelink should put a payment plan in place, that's probably what they mean about settling it at an admin level.

The letter should state your appeal rights and give you directions of who you could contact if you have concerns. By law they have to provide these rights to you when making any type of adverse decision.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to May baby For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I doubt you would need a lawyer if it's at an 'administrative level'. I would say centrelink thinks that you were not trying to defraud them but you were over paid and now need to pay it back. I thought you would receive a court summons if you were being done for fraud??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do u think it is possible that you have a debt? Did u receive the call today (Saturday), if so do people at centrelink even work on Saturdays? Wondering if the phone call was legit or was someone playing 'games'.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MUMMYtoMANY For This Useful Post:

sky1  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    I doubt you would need a lawyer if it's at an 'administrative level'. I would say centrelink thinks that you were not trying to defraud them but you were over paid and now need to pay it back. I thought you would receive a court summons if you were being done for fraud??
    I agree! I work in life insurance, if we thought someone was being fraudulent then it would be referred to the legal team.

I hope it's all sorted soon for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's under 5K, don't stress to much, all you'll have to do is pay it back. Over 5k they'll set an interview, which allows you to tell your story. You'll then recieve a letter with a court date. Roughly along those lines. The lawyer is needed to help reduce the penalty you'll receive or if it's a centrelink error to correct. I'm assuming it's a PP payment?

I was prosucted for a debt of 16K, mine was due from under declaring wages over a period of 10 years. I was charged with fraud and given a suspended sentence with a good behaviour bond of 2 years and ordered to pay it all back.

I was offered 480 hrs community service, but having small children, I didn't want to be stuck doing that. So instead I chose the above punishment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jaimee,

Thanks for replying. Its so touching to have people to reach out to me at this very difficult time.

What was it like to go to the interview? Very terrifying I assume.
    How did you go about getting organised to go to court? or did your lawyer do all of that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was scary and very over whelming. I thought I was going to jail. My lawyer (who was through legal aid) organised everything. I just had to turn up. I was told I was close to the amount where they go for jail time. But being a first time offender it was unlikely.

hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post
    If it's under 5K, don't stress to much, all you'll have to do is pay it back. Over 5k they'll set an interview, which allows you to tell your story. You'll then recieve a letter with a court date. Roughly along those lines. The lawyer is needed to help reduce the penalty you'll receive or if it's a centrelink error to correct. I'm assuming it's a PP payment?

I was prosucted for a debt of 16K, mine was due from under declaring wages over a period of 10 years. I was charged with fraud and given a suspended sentence with a good behaviour bond of 2 years and ordered to pay it all back.

I was offered 480 hrs community service, but having small children, I didn't want to be stuck doing that. So instead I chose the above punishment.
    Wow this is so scary! How long did you have to pay it back? Will you have a permanent record now??