+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default DS 2.5 seems happy in his nappy

Ds2.5 is so happy in his nappy he won't say if he's wet or even if he's done a poo. He will happily walk around in a dirty nappy, so I have to keep vigilant. I'm worried as he's almost 3 and still shoes no signs of toilet training. His interest in the toilet extends to barging im on people and that is it. I've tried sitting him on the toilet every so often with the tap running to see if anything would happen and help him make the connection but nothing. Has anyone else had a son that just didn't care? What helped them to connect toilet time to what was happening in the nappy? How do you make it is they don't like sitting in a dirty nappy? He seems to me at times to struggle to connect things, for instance I've tried piquing his interest in toilet training with promise if Thomas the tank underwear etc but he doesn't seem to put it together, nor the whole little boy/ big boy concept. Perhaps he's just not ready? When should I worry? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing! This is my son too, he even asks for a nappy when I try him with the potty or toilet.

ETA: DS is 2 years 7 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Kids don't just start caring about toileting on their own... It's up to the parents to start 'brainwashing' them. Perhaps get a book about toilets for your toddler, preferably one that includes all the different steps of toileting (pulling undies down, doing wee, wiping, flushing, washing hands etc. I recommend a book called 'toilet time.' After a couple of weeks reading this book at night to your toddler he will be talking about toilets heaps more!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Kids don't just start caring about toileting on their own... It's up to the parents to start 'brainwashing' them. Perhaps get a book about toilets for your toddler, preferably one that includes all the different steps of toileting (pulling undies down, doing wee, wiping, flushing, washing hands etc. I recommend a book called 'toilet time.' After a couple of weeks reading this book at night to your toddler he will be talking about toilets heaps more!
    Some do show an interest.

My son was 26 months when he refused to wear a nappy and has been toilet trained ever since with very little effort. I would have waited if he didn't show an interest.

My eldest daughter was not ready until after 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Some do show an interest.

My son was 26 months when he refused to wear a nappy and has been toilet trained ever since with very little effort. I would have waited if he didn't show an interest.

My eldest daughter was not ready until after 3.
    Agree. My childcare asked me to bring in undies for DD who was 24mo. I laughed saying she can't be ready yet. Apparently she'd been trying to get on the toilet watching the bigger kids. By 26mo she was day trained, was another 6mo till night.
    My niece wasn't interested in the slightest and pushing her from 2.5 made it much worse, hold it all in getting uti's.
    She was 3yr2mo and said one day "nappies are for babies" and that was it, didn't wear one again and only. 1or2 accidents.
    Taking little ones to public toilets isn't a nice experience anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little guy was 2.5 when we started he would walk around with a poo and not tell me etc and seemed not all that interested. We bought a potty and introduced him to it one night I got him to sit on it while we played in his room but he didn't do anything. Most nights before his bath I was putting him on the big toilet on a seat meant for toddlers and we would read a Thomas book and he would randomly pee while distracted. This went on for a few weeks. Then when I had a long weekend and it was just me and my little guy at home for
    4 days we started TT. I bought some undies showed them to him the night before and then the next morning after waking put them on him. I put the potty out in the living room and put some movies on to keep him in the area and just kept asking him to sit and do wees every 5-10min to remind him. There was 3 accidents the first day 1 the next and poos didn't come til about 2 weeks later still had accidents. We are now 2 months later and he is fully day toilet trained accept for naps and over night. Even so he will wake up dry from naps and will wee on the potty instead.

I was apprehensive like you didn't think he was ready but he really did surpass my expectations in the end and he is super proud of his big boy self and loves his McQUeen undies. I am saving soo much money on nappies to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP, my DS1 sounds similar. We tried TT a couple of times between 2 and 2y7m before I just stuck with it and refused to turn back to nappies. It didn't bother him being wet or dirty, so we just went nappy/ undies free for the first few days and I would promt him to sit on the potty every 20ish minutes and I would make a big deal when he'd wee in the potty.

He did quite well, but then the novelty wore off and he started refusing to sit on it after a few days, so I just cleaned up accidents and reminded him wees & poos go in the potty. After a couple of hit and miss weeks, he was taking himself. I took him shopping for special cars undies which he got very excited about! He did poos in his night nappy or undies for probably a good 4 months after we started TT, they took much longer to 'get'.

It can be quite a slow process, and not all kids are motivated to start, so you may just have to instigate it and stick it out like we did. We also tried rewards charts etc at the start which helped things along a little, but ultimately it was just time and perserverance. Good luck!
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 31-05-2014 at 07:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all! At least it's not all that uncommon. I'm due to have a baby any day do maybe we can try again in a few months, probably be easier in the warmer months anyway. I'm so nervous! My daughter was a breeze to toilet train.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    see at 2.5 my DD was totally uninterested.

Rather than persisting and fighting her over it for months on end, I just left it.

About a month before she turned 3, she finally decided on her own that she wanted to wear knickers ...

it still took some time, she didnt get it immediately - but at least she WANTED to, rather than me trying to force the issue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    see at 2.5 my DD was totally uninterested.

Rather than persisting and fighting her over it for months on end, I just left it.

About a month before she turned 3, she finally decided on her own that she wanted to wear knickers ...

it still took some time, she didnt get it immediately - but at least she WANTED to, rather than me trying to force the issue
    This is where we are at now - DS is 2.8yrs - at 2.5, no interest at all (in fact got upset at the suggestion of undies and being a big boy). This week, however, he asked to wear undies - accidents galore but at least he's keen to wear them. I'm quietly panicking though as we are going overseas in a week - plane trip with a partially toilet trained toddler who won't wear a nappy now - nightmare!