+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Op, it's your baby, your choice.
    It would be nice if others didn't disrespect that, but they do.
    I would suggest to avoid upset and stress that you keep the gender to yourself.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Sorry but I don't think you can pick and choose which grandparents are told. You're setting yourself up for a really unhealthy relationship with your inlaws if you tell your parents but not your partner's parents. I realise she has shown she doesn't deserve to be trusted but I personally think that's a bit of a nasty thing to do.

I wouldn't tell anyone.
    I disagree, I think the OPs parents shouldn't be 'punished' so to speak by not being told when they've respected the parents decisions. I do agree that telling her parents and not his will cause problems in her in law relationship but I think the MILs actions and who cares attitude suggest that those problems would've come along anyway. I wouldn't tell her the gender and I would also let her know why she is not being told. You need to make it very clear from the outset that although she may not always agree with yours and DHs parenting decisions, she must abide by them or she will not be included.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (01-06-2014),FrothyFrog  (31-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (31-05-2014),Meld85  (31-05-2014),Strawberry Kisses  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    OP given your partner is close to his dad could he speak to him about your concerns? Maybe that might work to impress on her the importance to you that she not share the information?

Would you tell your FIL and not your MIL?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel bad for you. I hope your MIL isn't like mine, but I think she probably is.

My MIL has done so many things that have hurt me over the last 16 years but the two that have really stood out are

1. Telling my DH what my wedding dress was like before the wedding. (He is an only child and I thought I would include her in the dress shopping - only to have her announce to him over dinner what it looked like. I changed my dress because of this).

2. Announcing to our friends that we were pregnant. (After we told both sets of parents, she frantically contacted our friends to let them know).

We didn't find out the gender of our DD and only picked the name when I was in labour, but I know that she would have announced it far and wide had she known (regardless of our wishes).

I have had no contact with the in-laws for a blissfully quiet 5 years (even though DH and DD both have contact with them - I'd never stop that).

My advice is if you want it to be kept a secret - don't tell.

Good luck in your pregnancy and the birth of your beautiful baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Liddybugs View Post
    Op, it's your baby, your choice.
    It would be nice if others didn't disrespect that, but they do.
    I would suggest to avoid upset and stress that you keep the gender to yourself.
    This. You'll learn quickly that people will talk and gossip. Particularly MILs. Not much you can do so if it really bothers you don't tell anyone.

As for unwanted advice on how to do things in relation to bubs, MILs love to dish that out (amongst plenty of others but MILs are the worst!). Plenty on threads on here confirm that. I just politely thank my MIL (with gritted teeth) and then usually do the exact opposite

Its something you'll have to learn to deal with, it's part and parcel of being a first time mum.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 31-05-2014 at 07:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's difficult to tell some people and not others, and then expect it to stay a secret for months. What if you told people that the sonographer wasn't able to see the gender, but then maybe if it's so important to you you could just tell your palliating grandmother? But then you'd need to understand that she may also let it slip.
    And then you said you'd also need to tell your mum, your DP would need to tell his dad and his grandma, and you'd also need to be hiding pretty much all your baby purchases from your remaining friends and family.... I think you'll be hard pressed to keep it a secret OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd not tell her. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to keep information to themselves. But I'm also someone who tells my parents more than what DH tells his dad. For us, it's the relationship that we have with our own parents. I'm close to

As an aside, I'm one of those who are planning on finding out and not telling people the sex.

Why? Because my friends don't want to know. I wasn't originally going to find out but I can't wait another 20 weeks. We don't do a nursery and we don't really want a shower so the whole gender neutral thing doesn't bother me. We already have a kid so we don't really don't need much else and I kinda like buying my own baby clothes. I'm also another who gets really excited when friends announced what they have and name etc.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (31-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't tell. Whisper it to your grandma with a wink.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Butterfly39  (31-05-2014),VicPark  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We found out the gender and only told our parents. As far as I know, they never told anyone else, but it's still a risk telling anyone if you want it kept quiet. We told everyone else that we didn't find out the gender. If you want to keep it a secret from MIL, then you won't be able to tell anyone on your DH's side of the family as you can't expect your FIL to keep a secret from his wife.

We had a neutral nursery and kept all the baby clothes that were pink in another room. It's really hard keeping it a secret as it's so easy to slip and say he/she when referring to bub.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeleem View Post
    Dont get me wrong i do see both sides!
    I think what got me most was her "who cares" attitude.
    This is exactly what I think the issue is. You asked her not to disclose something (its kind of irrelevant what that was), she blabbed it anyway, and when you pulled her up on it she said "well who cares". Well YOU care!

I wouldn't tell her anything else that I wanted kept quiet, period. She has shown she can't keep it quiet. I learned my lesson on this one a few years back when a friend blabbed some very private information about me to all her friends - I had confided in her and she knew it was a confidence but she didn't care. I'm no longer friends with her because I was so hurt, I know you can't cut your mil off like that OP but if she won't respect your wishes then too bad, so sad.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (31-05-2014),TheGooch  (31-05-2014)