+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I wonder how many people will be willing to donate sperm and eggs if they knew that they would have to be recorded on a birth certificate? Not many I would think!! Sort of contradicts anonymous donations.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sartan For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2014),DJ Nette  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    The baby has two parents. The couple, the bio dad entered into an agreement knowing that they would be the child's parents. Seems pretty rude to turn around and change your mind after the child is born.

I am not saying the child shouldn't know his/her biological father - just that legally, the couple are the parents.
    I agree. I think there are differing views about what a birth certificate is for... IMO it should be about the very earliest functionality of life (conception/birth) .. Enable a child to chase down their roots for medical purposes...So bio/birth parents. If someone wants to adopt a child good on them but there are other methods of recording/honoring this.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2014),Mod-pegasus  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure how adoption works but my mother was adopted. She found out when she was 8 and went on to discover she had a brother and her mother died from breast cancer. She went on to have health issues that were similar to her mother. So now my sister and i are on alert but if she never found out we would never had known

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But isn't there a lot of legal issues surrounding birth cerst and who is on them? If you could list the bio dad without the parents raising the baby losing any rights then that would be ok. I think PPs idea of multiple boxes is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I agree. I think there are differing views about what a birth certificate is for... IMO it should be about the very earliest functionality of life (conception/birth) .. Enable a child to chase down their roots for medical purposes...So bio/birth parents. If someone wants to adopt a child good on them but there are other methods of recording/honoring this.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (31-05-2014),VicPark  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The baby has two parents. The couple, the bio dad entered into an agreement knowing that they would be the child's parents. Seems pretty rude to turn around and change your mind after the child is born.

I am not saying the child shouldn't know his/her biological father - just that legally, the couple are the parents.
    They didn't have to put him on birth cert, but now they're taking it away.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's an interesting issue. I do agree with the POV that listing biological records (including egg and sperm donors) on birth certificates is problematic legally given children can access their birth certificates before they turn 18.

On the other hand given the prevalence of IVF and using donor sperm and eggs these days and us as a society having and choosing these options, we need to own it and be open and honest for the resulting children's sakes, rather than keep it hidden like in the past - it's a modern world now and we are much more accepting of the variety of families out there these days.

Identity is very important though, so it's terribly sad to think parents would hide biological ancestry from a child. So if not on the birth certificate then the biological heritage should be made available to a child if and where available.

Just wondering, do the same rules apply regarding egg donors as sperm donors? ie. do children have a right to know their biological mother (egg donor) when they turn 18?

And of course you're always going to get mothers that lie, and fathers that don't want to be on the child's birth certificate or even never know they are a father if a baby results from a casual liaison, so with that in mind there's never going to be a completely fail safe honest system.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Lottiemum  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Were they allowed to put the two women on the birth cert in the first place? Does anyone know?

I know that in the 70s, even though both my mother and father wanted me to have my mothers surname, it was illegal and I had to have my dad's surname.

Maybe there was some legal reason they didn't do it straight away?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    They didn't have to put him on birth cert, but now they're taking it away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    But isn't there a lot of legal issues surrounding birth cerst and who is on them? If you could list the bio dad without the parents raising the baby losing any rights then that would be ok. I think PPs idea of multiple boxes is a good idea.

It would still be legally murky though because the child would have access to the information before they are of age.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2014)