+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Birth Certs should have only genetic parents.

mother to a beautiful baby boy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    Further to my post, I think that there may need to be a certificate with full details of how a child came into the world and a separate certificate that shows the names of the child's legal guardian(s) these certificates should be issued together.
    I like this idea.

I disagree that birth certificates should only show biological parents only, particularly in the cases where people have had to use sperm or egg donors for fertility reasons (whether same sex or hetero couples), but I also agree that the details of the biological parents should be made available somewhere.

If you've had to use donor sperm (for example) because your partner is unable to produce any (whether male or female), then I personally believe it would be quite cruel to have the donor sperms name on the birth certificate instead of the child's parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    As someone who is the mother of a child conceived via sperm donor I would be 100% against having my daughters donor put on her birth certificate. I would absolutely fight it and cannot disagree more. We don't even know his name. It's not for us to know. It's for our daughter to know when she is old enough or if medical problems arise.

I believe that it's completely unnecessary as when my daughter turns 18 she will have the right to approach the fertility clinic and have her donors identity released to her. DP and I cannot access this information. This is the only kind of donation legal in Australia and I am all for it. My daughter deserves to know and DP and I will always be completely honest with her.

Birth certificates are a childs identity. Used to gain passports, enrol in school, bank accounts, get phone accounts... Birth certificates DO NOT reflect biology. Anyone can lie so easily on a birth certificate. Yes, you can argue that a parent might not be honest with their child and if the donors name is not on the birth certificate then how would the child find out about their biological heritage? But to be honest if a mother is not going to be honest with the child about their biology do you really believe she will put the donor on the birth certificate instead of just leaving it blank or putting her partners name instead?

My DP is proud as punch to be on DD's birth certificate. She is her parent and she shouldn't need to share that title with an anonymous donor who lives in America. He donated and gave us our daughter so he is an incredible man, she is just perfect, but he is not a father/parent and I would never allow him to be on her birth certificate.

I believe that if donors needed to be on birth certificates many donors would stop donating.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2014),danniJ  (31-05-2014),DJ Nette  (31-05-2014),Lottiemum  (31-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (31-05-2014),Stiflers Mom  (31-05-2014),wannawannabe  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    If a child is adopted - does the birth certificate contain the names of the adopting parents? (Rhetorical question).
    Ummm yes - I was adopted when I was 15 and my birth certificate was re-issued with my adoptive parents as my parents. Even had their ages changed to what they were when I was born so anyone looking at it would not know it wasn't from birth.

I know its different with same sex couples as there is little precedence but I know for a fact it is about who is legally identified as a parent not for biological reasons...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Best Things  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughters bio dad is not on her birth cert at all. He has to pay child support but he refuses to see her or even acknowledge her existence. As far as she is concerned my hubby is her dad. i have no idea how i'm gonna explain that to her as her biodad called her a blight on the earth and threatened to kill her if he ever got her alone :/ cops did nothing as i couldn't prove anything :/

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    Why can't birth certificates have multiple boxes? Instead of just mother and father. Why can't it have gestational surrogate, genetic mother, genetic father, adoptive parent 1, adoptive parent 2.

Why not? Why can't they change birth certificates to reflect the way some children come into the world?
    EXACTLY!

The current BC's are archaic. They smack of old fashioned Christian sensibilities, where in the old days there was only allowed to be 1 male and 1 female parent.

Times have REALLY really changed!!!!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2014),Ngaiz  (31-05-2014),PomPoms  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    If a child is adopted - does the birth certificate contain the names of the adopting parents? (Rhetorical question).

Some children wish to find out their biological heritage, and without the biological father's information there is missing information regarding that.

I'm a bit confused as maybe I'm wrong, but I would have thought in a situation such as this - the information should be similar to an adopted birth certificate as the information is still there should the child wish to find out their biological information down the track, however, I do believe that the heritage of who raises the child should be noted
    I was going to say how would this work for adoption.

But....my birth certificate has my adoptive parents only on it. I have to apply to DOCS to get my original birth certificate with my birth parents on it. There is nothing on my birth certificate to say it is an amended one or that I am adopted. So if I was not told by my adoptive parents that I was adopted I would have no idea.

Knowing your genetic history is very important.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Lottiemum  (31-05-2014),Mod-pegasus  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How would it work for consent?

In Best Things case (hope you don't mind me using you as an example) if they had the sperm donor listed on the birth certificate would they have to get signed consent from him when they wanted to apply for their daughters passport? Enrol in school? Anything else that you need to get both signatures for?

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    I was going to say how would this work for adoption.

But....my birth certificate has my adoptive parents only on it. I have to apply to DOCS to get my original birth certificate with my birth parents on it. There is nothing on my birth certificate to say it is an amended one or that I am adopted. So if I was not told by my adoptive parents that I was adopted I would have no idea.

Knowing your genetic history is very important.
    Thanks, that makes it clearer. I thought if it was amended there'd be reference to the fact.

I guess the difference with children of same sex parents is that they know the certificate has to be an amended one

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The baby has two parents. The couple, the bio dad entered into an agreement knowing that they would be the child's parents. Seems pretty rude to turn around and change your mind after the child is born.

I am not saying the child shouldn't know his/her biological father - just that legally, the couple are the parents.