+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    A birth certificate should state the facts nothing more.
    Whomever are the childs biological parents are the ones who's names should appear.

That does not mean they are necessarily the ones raising the child
    This. A birth certificate is a record of biological heritage. Many children are born when their mother has either become single or has a new partner and their biological father is the one who is listed. Why should it be different for gay couples? It's about the right to know where you came from. I have no issue with the partner being listed as well, but biological parents should be listed first. As much as some are saying the child could be told of their biological father later on and by other means, this doesn't always happen and a birth certificate is the easiest and most straight forward way for the info to be centralised. This is important not only for those whose fathers are not dead beats or donors in medical sense, but also so they are aware of their family history and can find out in regards to medical issues that may be hereditary.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jussi For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    A birth certificate should state the facts nothing more.
    Whomever are the childs biological parents are the ones who's names should appear.

That does not mean they are necessarily the ones raising the child
    What if I carry and birth a child conceived via IVF and a donor egg? Would I be listed as the child's mother on the birth certificate?

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If a child is adopted - does the birth certificate contain the names of the adopting parents? (Rhetorical question).

Some children wish to find out their biological heritage, and without the biological father's information there is missing information regarding that.

I'm a bit confused as maybe I'm wrong, but I would have thought in a situation such as this - the information should be similar to an adopted birth certificate as the information is still there should the child wish to find out their biological information down the track, however, I do believe that the heritage of who raises the child should be noted

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (31-05-2014)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooglekat View Post
    What if I carry and birth a child conceived via IVF and a donor egg? Would I be listed as the child's mother on the birth certificate?
    Kooglekat - this is an interesting perspective and I'm not sure of the answer. As far as I'm aware the birth parents are noted as the mother who births the child and the father who donates the sperm. I'm sure someone else can clarify if I am correct.

I think in this instance the same sort of issues arise. We can compare donor sperm with adoption, and this can also be compared with donor eggs etc.

The concept of families borne from donor sperm or donor eggs to me seem to be very comparable to adoption. In the instance of same sex couples, there still has to be the presence of a person of the other sex to make a child, so I think it's fair to name that person so that down the track the child can track their biological background.

Should we deny the child the right to find out their genetical make up regardless of the gender of their parents? As far as I'm aware, all children can search out their biological parents to find out such information when they get to a certain age.

I would think children who are borne from same sex couplings may have the same questions down the track as children who are adopted or children who are borne from donor sperm or donor eggs (children who are borne from same sex couples have had donor sperm or a donor egg to realise conception) so why should it be any different?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (31-05-2014),snowqu33n  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not so sure about this one.

My DS does not have his biological father listed on his birth certificate. Dad to him is my DP who has raised him alongside me. In my circumstance, I would hate for someone to think that bio father has some sort of right to have his name on DS's birth certificate. He has had very little impact on his life and it would hurt DP who has been a father. DS can find out who his bio father is quite easily if he chooses to. His name does not need to be on some document for him to find out those details.

This situation seems a little bit different though as the doner wants to be around. I'm not too sure about the process for using doner sperm but doesn't this sort of stuff get addressed before donation?? Like a signed waiver of rights or something?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ra Ra Superstar For This Useful Post:

Lottiemum  (31-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    If a child is adopted - does the birth certificate contain the names of the adopting parents? (Rhetorical question).
    I'm think a new birth certificate is issued with the names of the adopting parents.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooglekat View Post
    If it is argued that biological parents should be listed on a birth certificate then yes, that would have to include egg donors as well as sperm donors. I don't see how anyone could argue that sperm donors contribute genetics but egg donors don't!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why can't birth certificates have multiple boxes? Instead of just mother and father. Why can't it have gestational surrogate, genetic mother, genetic father, adoptive parent 1, adoptive parent 2.

Why not? Why can't they change birth certificates to reflect the way some children come into the world?

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2014),jussi  (31-05-2014),Lottiemum  (31-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (31-05-2014),MilkingMaid  (31-05-2014),PlayNice  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Further to my post, I think that there may need to be a certificate with full details of how a child came into the world and a separate certificate that shows the names of the child's legal guardian(s) these certificates should be issued together.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2014),MilkingMaid  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    Why can't birth certificates have multiple boxes? Instead of just mother and father. Why can't it have gestational surrogate, genetic mother, genetic father, adoptive parent 1, adoptive parent 2.

Why not? Why can't they change birth certificates to reflect the way some children come into the world?
    Like a coding system, like:
    Ma - adoptive mother
    Mg - gestational mother (or perhaps don't need this one)
    Mb - biological mother
    Fa - adoptive father
    Fb - biological father

So where it lists the child's parents on the certificate it could show:

Mother: Joyce Mayne (Mb)
    Father: Harvey Norman (Fa) David Jones (Fb)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Lottiemum  (31-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (31-05-2014)