+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I've been thinking about this. The whole thing has probably been made more dramatic and painful than what it needs to be because you haven't addressed inappropriate things as they have popped up. If she laughed at your kid hurting herself then a simple "that's not funny" would get your message accross. If she calls her kid feral say something like "dr Phil says it takes a thousand 'attaboys' to make up for one 'you're not good enough." Keep doing this and the 'friend' would quickly learn where your boundaries are. If she is uncomfortable she will probably pull away slowly. By her responses, you would quickly learn where your friendship lies.

Letting things bottle up and then hitting her with one big whammy of a whinge is not an effective way of dealing with it. It will end in the other lady feeling attacked, the friendship over, hubby missing out on having his mate at your wedding.

If you have any patience for her left, try being a bit more vocal when she ticks you off, and see where that gets you.

- just offering another tactic for your consideration.
    I know you're right and I think I might start doing this too. It's DS's birthday coming up soon and I think if her son is still sick I will ask her not to come, there will be heaps of other babies there, some only quite young as well as older kids and I don't want her spreading his germs around to everyone else.
    Normally I would just hope that she would do the right thing and not bring him and then be all annoyed when she did anyway but I need to start standing up to her with stuff like that even if it will make her angry.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also wonder to what extent it is worth commenting on her parenting... I mean I know we all hate unwanted advice and I do believe everyone has the right to make their own decisions about what they do with their kids but if she does things I really don't agree with, like feeding her baby nutella or leaving him alone to play on his change table... I don't know, it's things like that that make me not want to be around her but I think it would be pointless to expect her to change. No one reacts well to having their parenting questioned.

No idea if this post makes sense, just random thoughts

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't not comment on things that are dangerous (I feel its a duty of care all adults have to a child) leaving a 12 mth old on a change table to play?? *shakes head* non sensical... In all honesty, I couldn't over look safety issues - not even for a friend. Choices, like nutella, not the wisest but not necessarily life endangering (unless of course there are allergies)... jmo.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (01-06-2014),Serenity Love  (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    leaving him alone to play on his change table...

She sounds like a fricken idiot. Sorry, but what the hell is going through her mind to think that's a good idea? Why not put the poor bub on the floor on a play mat? Is she sadistic and wants to see what happens or something? That's just all kinds of wrong ... and if you're wanting to know when its worth saying something, THAT time is.

Plus if he is 12 months old ... he could easily sit himself up by that age probably... and yeah, more likely fall off the damn edge and break his neck!!

I am feeling really concerned about this poor child of hers. And im sorry to say OP, but someone has to speak up for the little ones in situations like this and if people are around witnessing that sort of thing and not saying anything, well they're condoning it. Once the baby falls and they fracture their skull or break their neck, its too late then. And then people feel guilty because 'they should have said something but didn't want to rock the boat'

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Serenity Love For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is a really difficult subject. I went through the exact same thing we even had our boys on the same day but now we actually dont talk at all because everything was a competition and if my lo did something first id be lying or get ignored.
    Really hope your situation turns out a bit better hunni. Best advice i can give is try and point her in right direction and "swap" parenting tips to make it seem a bit less criticising on her side
    Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessed Be View Post

She sounds like a fricken idiot. Sorry, but what the hell is going through her mind to think that's a good idea? Why not put the poor bub on the floor on a play mat? Is she sadistic and wants to see what happens or something? That's just all kinds of wrong ... and if you're wanting to know when its worth saying something, THAT time is.

Plus if he is 12 months old ... he could easily sit himself up by that age probably... and yeah, more likely fall off the damn edge and break his neck!!

I am feeling really concerned about this poor child of hers. And im sorry to say OP, but someone has to speak up for the little ones in situations like this and if people are around witnessing that sort of thing and not saying anything, well they're condoning it. Once the baby falls and they fracture their skull or break their neck, its too late then. And then people feel guilty because 'they should have said something but didn't want to rock the boat'
    He's actually 6 months but yeah he sits up on his own and he can roll really well now too so not the place for him to be playing. She posted it on Facebook so it had already happened by then and I did say something but she didn't respond so I have no idea if she took any notice of what I said.