+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Hawkesbury v Nepean - private v public!

Hi all,
    i am 28 yrs old and just found out I am 5 weeks pregnant for the first time. It was totally unexpected so therefore I do not have the correct private health care to cover things.
    I am happy to pay additional cost for private hospital care/ doctors, and have been advised you can go 'private' at a public hospital. Which sounds good
    does anyone have any good or bad experiences with Hawkesbury or Nepean hospitals. And could they recommend a good obstetrician?
    So many things to think about, and I just want to find the best options and cost efficient care I can find
    p.s. Any other tips would be great as I never honestly imagined having kids before so I'm totally new to the whole idea still!!! Eeek!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went as a private patient through the public hospital at Nepean only last week. This was my first baby and we had not got out private health cover together in time. I'm glad I chose private as I liked having the same obstetrician the whole time and I also had an elective c section which was my main reason for going private. The midwives were wonderful in the public hospital but I absolutely hated having to share a room, I had to stay for 5 nights and literally didn't sleep for more than an hour each night. It completely killed me and everyone is different but I have sworn next time I shall have private health in place so I can have the baby at the private hospital in a private room(friends who've given birth at Nepean private have always had a private room). My pregnancy was straightforwards and I'm thankful for that and sometimes at your obstetrician appointment you feel a bit ripped off having to pay your consult charge where nothing really happened but as I say the continuation of care was hugely important to me. I know many people who went public through Nepean and couldn't fault it. I'm not sure if I've given you much help but just my 2 cents with from recent experience!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and it cost us roughly 5 grand all up and we didn't get much back thro Medicare-less than a thousand for sure...!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks sweeetie! Any help/advice/opinions are much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dr Pardey at Nepean is awesome Also I have had one of my children at Hawkesbury hospital as a public patient and it was great. It's a smaller hospital so it's quieter which is nice and I had window veiw of cows grazing in a paddock that I loved Oh and when I was in labour I was lucky enough to be visited by a lady with the most beautiful therapy dog, I didn't want them to leave lol.
    Last edited by KaraB; 30-05-2014 at 18:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't have such a great experience at Nepean Public.

My OB was pretty slack. I had some major post op (emergency c section) issues and I saw him once through that whole process and only after I had made a complaint that I was not being informed of my care. I had doctors telling me different things every day and it was just a horrible experience. I was in there for a month all up. If there was anything positive to say, I would say that the nurses that cared for me on the maternity ward were fantastic. I did have one nurse that told me to use my maternity pads over my infected wound because she didn't want to go and get me some gauze or sterile padding but I won't hold her behaviour against the rest of the wonderful nurses there.

I'm currently in the group midwifery practice at RHW and comparing the care that I am receiving, there is a huge difference.

If I was still in the area OP, I would probably go to Hawksbury.