+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3week old unsettled most off the day

Hi
    My 3 week old DS has started to become unsettled during the day, usually starts after lunch time, he doesn't want to be put down and wants to be in my arms the whole time. When he feeds (bf) he kicks and pulls off in pain, is this colic? He doesn't do it at night or during the early hours when he feeds 2 hourly... He hasn't put on much weight since birth so is he hungry and my milk supply is not filling him up...
    Tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    He also regurgitates when he's asleep if he yawns

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he kicks and pulls off could be silent reflux. My 2 both had it and both times the doctor was really slow to acknowledge it. Some tips, elevate the head end of the cot with a few books, try and keep bub upright for 30 min after a feed and also position bub during a feed so tummy is lower than the head. Sometimes they would feed well and other times of the day was non stop screaming and pulling off the breast. Usually starts around 3 weeks old or did in both my kids.

To rule out silent reflux you can try Gavison Infant as per instructions on the box, or Mylanta. With the Mylanta give 1ml before and 1ml after a feed to a maximum of 20ml per day. Mylanta worked for DD and Gavisvon for DS. I saw a change in their feeding and sleeping pretty much from the first feed with medicine.

If this helps you will need to get a script for Losec or similar as Mylanta can't be used long term but is good to use until the Losec kicks in. If you end up with Losec it us usually a tablet but if you live near a compounding pharmacy they can make it in a syrup for you.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleo77 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (30-05-2014),Mrs Summer  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD fed every two hours. It's nothing to do with your supply. It's jut breast milk is very quickly digested.
    My little one used to kick and pull off when she was overtired.
    Could this be the case with yours?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Mrs Summer  (31-05-2014),My Beloved Ones  (30-05-2014),Starfish30  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't colic generally hit in the PM time of day? How's your let down and milk flow? Is it fast/strong? My little man struggled with my flow in the early days. He used to kick and carry on when feeding. He also used to gulp a lot of air trying to keep up with the flow, that let to being windy and spewy. Make sure you give your bub a good burp a couple of times during a feed and after. And interestingly, my boy always fed better at night when he was sleepy and not so "aggressive" (can't think of a more appropriate word!) for a feed.

It does get easier! At this age it's a process of elimination. Stick with it and remember you're still early days.
    Last edited by Luvmyfam; 30-05-2014 at 20:25.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmyfam For This Useful Post:

Mrs Summer  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think by that time he's probably just over tired and grumpy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Mrs Summer  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    If the screaming was after every feed, I'd say silent reflux too. But if its only in the evening, sounds more like colic.

It may seem,like,you don't have enough supply but there is a growth spurt at 4 weeks and late afternoon is when babies get very hungry, so he's probably trying to increase your supply.

Keep,your eye out though, silent reflux can be very serious if not treated early. So if the screaming and pulling off becomes, regular after feeds get to your GP.

Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Mrs Summer  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It may be something your eating in the morning? Could you try dairy egg free etc whatever it is you have lots of? That might help. Or coffee?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stressedaboutno4 For This Useful Post:

Mrs Summer  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From memory there's also a wonder week happening at the 3 wk mark. There's a fabulous wonder weeks app that I would have found very helpful as a FTM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to My Beloved Ones For This Useful Post:

Mrs Summer  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for your help,
    I'm on a very plain diet so it doesn't effect DS, oats for breaky, salad sandwich for lunch & meat & veg for dinner, I don't drink anything but water & 1 weak tea, no broccoli, onion, Garlic, chocolate ect. I will keep an eye on the silent reflux, he does need to burp more than once I find I get the second burp up after 30min off patting his back