+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Being bored makes me depressed.

I had an epiphany today, being bored makes me depressed and overeat, which makes me depressed and overeat.

I absolutely love being run off of my feet at work, even as a girl I imagined having 4 kids that I would have to run around after and a job that was challenging and full on.

Instead I’m stuck at home with DD, nothing to do, and it makes me incredibly sad. I have absolutely no idea where to start because it seems that no one wants to hire mothers (not that I advertise it, but the gaps in my resume speak for themselves).

Sorry guys, I know I’m all over the shop at the moment. I guess I’m trying to take my problems out of the equation in my relationship with DP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hear ya - I'm the same! I have 2 kids but I do work part-time. I actually looked forward to going back to work just to have something different to do. I don't have a very good imagination so I felt bored playing with my 3 year old all the time (she likes to do the same games anyway). My only advise is to keep trying for a job (I know some employers love mothers for various reasons) and to plan ahead some outings and make yourself go. If I wake up with nothing planned I end up doing nothing then by the end of the day I'm depressed. If I plan something I'll usually do it and it helps keep the boredom away. I just find lack of adult interaction can be boring.
    Hope things get better for you

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (30-05-2014)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi nomia, how about offering to help in your older childs class, or at the school canteen. ?? or even at your local library? often just some volunteering work leads to employment or at least it gives you some structure to your day. even just one day a week so you have something to look forward to. Often we can be our own worse enemy, just because it is easy to sit at home and pretend no one cares. marie.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (30-05-2014),sunnyflower  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I'm exactly the same. Is there something that you are interested in doing outside of the house?
    I work causually and go to uni. There is an amazing difference in the amount I eat on days at home compared to days out.
    Could look at doing a course? Even a short TAFE course? Joining a gym or going to a fitness class? In terms of work, what about night fill at your local supermarket? A lot of mums do this. If you are really desperate to get out, what about delivering catalogues or the local paper? It's a lot of work for not much money but it might help maintain your sanity.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Go on outings with your daughter - beach, park, bush walks etc.

Take a camera, and then you can spend some time when you get back playing with the photos and stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm actually sitting here feeling a bit sorry for myself aswell.
    I get bored with imaginative play and I find myself having a much shorter fuse with my 2 yo DD, due to doing the same thing week in week out.

We do try to have something organized to do each day, but even then we've gotten into such a routine it feels a bit boring.

I'm also in a bit of catch 22 at the moment now, as I am also looking for work and have recently started to apply for full time positions in the hope of securing work as funds are much needed in our household I have an interview on Monday for said full time position and now I'm not so sure I will be able to cope and feel like I will miss out on things with her....

I had tee'd up volunteering at a primary school office in the hope of getting work later on down track which would suit perfect for when DD is at school and in my head I'm thinking maybe I should stick with that plan, but also in need of paid work!

Sorry for the hijack but I'm just so confused!! And I haven't even secured the full time work and already I feel like this. Aargh!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to looloo711 For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I here you!! In the same boat here - I have planned activities everyday but feel like I'm bored with it all, I find myself fantasising about getting a pt job but DHs career and hrs is all consuming for the moment : (

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wowza For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have figured out that I genuinely want to go back to work, the trouble is I had to leave my last job that I absolutely loved because I was pregnant.My manager wanted a 150% from me (I was already giving 110%, going above and beyond), while the men in the group were allowed to handball everything to me . Being pretty much forced to leave made me incredibly depressed, and I have no idea how to explain the reason for leaving and the absence without acknowledging that I am a mother.
    Last edited by Nomia; 01-06-2014 at 09:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomia View Post
    I have figured out that I genuinely want to go back to work, the trouble is I had to leave my last job that I absolutely loved because I was pregnant.My manager wanted a 150% from me (I was already giving 110%, going above and beyond), while the men in the group were allowed to handball everything to me . Being pretty much forced to leave made me incredibly depressed, and I have no idea how to explain the reason for leaving and the absence without acknowledging that I am a mother.
    I always say that I had to leave to focus on my family for a while as some extenuating circumstances came up. Say it in a sad tone and nobody asks what they were.:thumbup:

I currently study full time, work part time, am a single parent to 2 kids and I am pregnant. I love being busy. If I am not busy or have plans for every day, I feel depressed and tired and I end up eating deserts and things as I get in the kitchen and bake up a storm. (Like marge simpson does when she was fighting her depression over flying)

Different people need different things. Some people are social and others not, some people need to keep busy and others need lots of down time. There is no right or wrong way. Just embrace yourself and go with it.

Maybe try a bit of volunteering to get yourself out there so you have a current activity on your resume.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (01-06-2014)