+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a PhD in psychology, but not my clinical training (masters component), which means I am a research psychologist and I have provisional registration status, but I don't see or treat clients. I did 8 years at university from start to finish to gain my PhD. As PP have said, getting into Honours is hard, and you typically need a first class Honours to go on further to do Masters and/or PhD, but not always. The academic pressure can be quite intense. It's a hard, expensive road, but in my opinion it was completely worth it. I am employed as a research fellow at a university and I work in trauma and mental health research, which is very rewarding. Jobs are competitive but not impossible in my experience, especially if you are willing to relocate.

GL!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (10-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been working as a psychologist for almost eight years now. I completed a four year psych degree, then also completed a grad dip ed (majoring in school psychology). I've been working in schools ever since (public and private, and rural and metro) and I love it I am in WA where the vast majority of counsellors in schools are psychologists, but I know it's different in every state. I've had a few friends branch out into different things and they haven't had too much trouble finding jobs, but I acknowledge that it's easier doing that when you are experienced and fully registered. Good luck with it - it's a pretty good field to work in. And I think you learn on the job how to separate work and everything else. It's a necessity - you won't last in the profession if you can't do it. It really helps to have good colleagues you can debrief with after a full on day and that is what your supervisor will be for as well.