+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trying to get a urine sample - how???

DD has been unwell the past couple of days. Her GP wants to test for a UTI so I have to get a urine sample somehow. She wouldn't give me one of those bags that stick on as they contaminate the urine too easily. I have to do a 'clean catch'. DD is almost 8 months old.

Any tips? I was unsuccessful yesterday but need to try again today as we have a doctors appointment late this afternoon.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's a bit silly...expecting you to catch an 8 mth olds urine!! My dd used to get UTI as a baby and the dr always used those bags.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd had a uti around that same age. Believe it or not I stood underneath her with the cup for 3 hours and the second I got up to get her Panadol as her fever went up yep you guessed it she peed!!!!! 😩😩😩 I was mortified as by then my back was broken from sitting and shuffling around on the floor. I was able to get droplets that were running down her leg which was enough for the doc to test a pos uti. The week after I needed to do it again to make sure it was gone after antibiotics. So I went out and bought a potty. Believe it or not one night before her bath while the water was running I sat her on it and played with her with her Lego... Poured a little bit of warm water over her toes and yep she did it!dont know if it was a fluke but that's how I got the second sample from her. A lot easier than the first!! Good luck op x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Will she stand up? A friend of mine had to get samples of urine and she used to strip her daughter off and stand her in the bathroom, hanging onto the side of the bath. She would turn on the water and fill up the bath. Her daughter would do a wee every time! So she just hung out behind her with a tub to catch it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm just wondering if you could stick a cloth/flannel in her nappy and catch the pee then squeeze it out? Or is that not a "clean" catch?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We had to get a couple of DD2 as a bub.
    We just stood her in the bath and turned the water on and got ready to catch.

There are special infant collection bags you can get from pathology

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hope you managed to get one. It sounds awful but crying will often result in a wee... I got told the bags were not great either so we waited in hospital for a clean catch. .. caught when she was crying. Also taking the nappy off and blowing cold air. .ahem....down there can also make them wee! Good luck!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DD also had a really bad UTI at 8 months, we were in the hospital and basically just had to strip her off and let her crawl around the cot with no nappy and catch the urine in a specimen jar... Not fun!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to do the same thing when DD2 was 8 months. I was at the hospital and I left her nappy off and held her on those hospital pads / puppy training mats. I kept giving her a drink and had the jar ready to go.

It doesn't get any easier when they're older either. I had to get another sample when DD2 was 3 and I was kneeling on the floor of the doctor's toilet, balancing an ipad playing octonauts in one hand, holding a specimen jar in the other while DD2 cried and yelled about how much it hurt to wee and I tried not to drop anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips and sympathy ladies!

I tried sitting her on my lap holding a lunch box between my legs for 1+ hours and nothing except a very cranky baby. Put her to bed and when she got up her nappy was full (of course). Tried again sitting next to the bath with the tap running, sat her on DS's old potty - nothing. Then pooed and weed in her nappy.

Have given up and went to Clinipath for the little bags. It's the best I can do. It's just precautionary as she had a fever and no other symptoms (eg cough, runny nose) so they're just ruling out a UTI. Her fever has broken now (she has a slight rash on her tummy now too).

For mums of bubs that have had a UTI, what were your bubs symptoms? If DD does have one, would she still have a fever? We are off to the GP in an hour but just interested to hear from others.

My DS was hospitalised for urinary retention late last year - I thought I was pretty good at coaxing out wees but have no experience actually having to catch it!