+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My 4 babies where exclusively FF (not by choice) and the first 3 didn't but they also self settled young my 4th just went through it. Oh the horror :-0

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sleep regressions effect kids differently. I found the 8mth and 18mth ones the worst for dd1. Dd2 got the 4&8 badly.

I found solids made my kids worse. When EBF they were gaining 150-300gm a week and sleeping 5-7hr blocks minimum. Add solids and suddenly their sleep went to crap and their weight plateaued/dropped. Next bub I'm not starting solids till 9mths!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    There's also an 8 month regression which they say is worse, so you probably hit that as well!
    Yeah, I think so.
    And I think because I breastfed them to sleep as newborns overnight they probably didn't learn the best self soothing techniques.

My older one is now 3 and a fantastic sleeper.
    I just kind of went with the regressions and kept reminding myself it will end eventually lol
    My younger one is currently sleeping through again, in crossing my fingers the regression is nearing the end. He's 1 in July.

DH & I <3
    DD 2 years old
    DS born July 2013
    Lolakitty - fur baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolakitty View Post
    Yeah, I think so.
    And I think because I breastfed them to sleep as newborns overnight they probably didn't learn the best self soothing techniques.

My older one is now 3 and a fantastic sleeper.
    I just kind of went with the regressions and kept reminding myself it will end eventually lol
    My younger one is currently sleeping through again, in crossing my fingers the regression is nearing the end. He's 1 in July.

DH & I <3
    DD 2 years old
    DS born July 2013
    Lolakitty - fur baby
    Yeah, the sleep site I've been following just advises to 'ride it out,' just keep doing what you've been doing but try not to add any extra sleep associations. That's what I did this past month and he's back to normal so although it felt like torture I think it was a good way to deal with it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Lolakitty  (15-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Sleep regressions effect kids differently. I found the 8mth and 18mth ones the worst for dd1. Dd2 got the 4&8 badly.

I found solids made my kids worse. When EBF they were gaining 150-300gm a week and sleeping 5-7hr blocks minimum. Add solids and suddenly their sleep went to crap and their weight plateaued/dropped. Next bub I'm not starting solids till 9mths!!!!
    I noticed when I was googling four months and sleep regressions so many people started solids at four months because they automatically assumed their baby was waking because they were hungry and milk wasn't cutting it anymore. I think some sleep 'experts' not acknowledging developmental regressions and advising to start solids early doesn't help. I did worry he wasn't getting enough while I was in the midst of it but now he's back on track and I'm glad I just went with it and didn't introduce anything new like solids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Doesn't help that 4-5 mths post partum most bf mums start to have their supply settle down and some even have AF returning. Also bubs get more efficient at feeding. Suddenly women start thinking that it's their milk that's the problem. Sigh. No. Not milk. Just baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Doesn't help that 4-5 mths post partum most bf mums start to have their supply settle down and some even have AF returning. Also bubs get more efficient at feeding. Suddenly women start thinking that it's their milk that's the problem. Sigh. No. Not milk. Just baby.
    Very true!

And I have found both times I've had a big surge of hormones around that time. Might have something to do with milk supply settling down and the effect that has on your whole cycle.

Both times I've been very over sensitive around the times AF is returning. That mixed with sleep regression makes it exhausting.

It's only for a short time at least. And second time around at least you know what's happening and why

DH & I <3
    DD 2 years old
    DS born July 2013
    Lolakitty - fur baby

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolakitty For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Where did you hear that? A sleep regression is a developmental phase where they keep waking because so much is going on inside so I don't see how knowing how to self settle would stop it, they'd still wake, you just maybe wouldn't have to help them back to sleep as often, but probably still will.

I just find it interesting that you've quoted the sleep site because she's not into teaching them to self settle that young, thinks it's normal for a four month old baby (purely breastfed) to wake 2-3 times in the night to eat and doesn't believe in teaching to self settle while they are swaddled because they need their hands to self-sooth. She's not really into any type of sleep training until after four months.

Sorry, not arguing with you, just curious where you heard it won't happen if you sleep trained before the regression.

DS seemed to have hit it, he had an awful week around 16 weeks and a couple weeks of kind of awful. But the past week he's been back to only waking twice to eat so seems to be back on track.

ETA: I've decided I've got beef with most of the sleep training books and their authors as they never, or rarely, address sleep regressions and developmental phases. They must make so many moms feel like cr*p!
    ^ I would just like to say a big THANK YOU !

As a first time mum I have read all the books trying to get it right and sadly my bub not great at self settling. And yes those books make you feel like such a failure when bub just doesn't do what book says they should. I did find Save our sleep handy for suggestions on feeding/ napping times. But when baby doesn't sleep or fit into those times it gets hard.

My just Bub not a big fan of naps during day so we struggle there. but we did get into nice routine of him only waking once or twice overnight. He has now hit the 14 week stage and sleeping pattern thrown out the window and we are now up 3-4 times a night ( most times wants feeding but other times just wide awake and doesn't want to sleep ) many times now I admit I breastfeed him to help settle...

We still try and keep to a routine but have learnt not not to get too stressed when he doesn't follow and we just get him to nap when we can. We are trying to just ride it out now, but I feel but the way those books tell you if you can't get them to self settle you are setting them up for failure of ever sleeping good.

I have resorted to a dummy at times although if he just doesn't want to sleep he spits it out and starts laughing ...