+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Needle phobia in Adelaide

Hi everyone!
    I have already posted this in another section of the forum, but I feel like that was maybe the wrong place...
    I'm brand new here and newly pregnant for the first time (7 weeks).
    I'm doing some research at which hospital I want to birth at, and was wondering if anyone could help with my decision.
    I have a severe needle phobia and have horrible panic attacks associated with this. I realise that I'm not going to be able to avoid needles altogether, but I'm looking for a hospital/OB that is going to be sympathetic to this and respect my wishes to try other pain relief methods and avoid unnecessary intervention. I need to feel in control and supported and not like I'm going to be steamrolled or get given a sneaky needle. I'd love to have a bath in my room, so that's something else to consider.
    We have private cover, but I'm happy to go public if that's going to be a better option. There are just so many different options and I am completely overwhelmed!
    Has anyone else experienced this, and can recommend a hospital or OB that sounds like they might fit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not to freak you out but before you get to the birth stage there are a few needles in pregnancy as well.... various different blood tests you'll need to have.

What about some relaxation techniques to help calm you for the inevitable needles?

Honestly you can pretty much avoid needles when giving birth if youre happy with just gas and other pain relief options - maybe a TENS machine and yes shower or bath too.
    Good luck.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Lucy,

It sounds like you have a fairly severe phobia, and relaxation techniques are not going to cut it... I wouldn't say I have a needle phobia, but a definite severe anxiety and would put off necessary blood tests for months and months rather than have them done. One thing that did reduce my anxiety a huge amount was the use of Emla Cream, a numbing local anaesthetic, so I knew I wouldn't feel anything. I know logically they don't really hurt, but the thought of it would make me avoid them, even at my own health detriment.

I haven't given birth so I'm not certain about that side of it, but a sympathetic doctor and birth advocate are very important. Whether the Emla can be used prior to giving birth on a pre-decided spot so that they can put in a drip thingy ready if needed, then you don't have to worry about it later - although if your phobia is about having a needle actually in you, then that wouldn't work.

You've probably tried everything already, but I found kinesiology worked very well for me too.

Congratulations, and good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your replies.
    Leisylou, I unfortunately freak out at the thought of being numb as well, so have hated having Emla in the past.
    I'm definitely going to give relaxation and breathing techniques a go, White Peach, and I'm booked in to see a hypnotherapist again (I've been to one in the past but no luck). I just don't want to choose the wrong doctor/hospital!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to say hypno might be an idea so thats good youre already onto it

Public is generally more pro-natural labours and births. But someone else might know a great private OB in adelaide who will be supportive.

Good luck.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a good friend in Adelaide who is a midwife (30+ years experience) who also does hypnosis. Send me a private message if you would like her details. I can highly recommend her but I am a little biased since she is a friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Use the nitrous gas and hot water as pain relief (either shower or bath).

There are blood tests at 28 and 36 weeks that are recommended - to check your iron levels and full blood count to make sure your not iron deficient.

There should be no need to have a drip (cannula) in during your labour unless you are at high risk of having a large blood loss, are being induced or need IV fluids because you and your baby are showing signs of dehydration.

Discuss the option of physiological third stage (delivery of the placenta) as opposed to having active management where you are given an injection of syntocinon.

In the case of an emergency in which you are loosing too much blood post birth, there won't be any mucking around with giving you injections or getting IV access.

In the event of a caesarean you could opt for a general anaesthetic (would still need the cannula) instead of a spinal/epidural.

No one is going to make you have any needles that you don't want - unless its for life-saving measures in an emergency.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Get some 'Emla' cream. You slap it on the skin a while before you have a needle and it numbs it beautifully! They use it a lot for kids but I've used it in the past as an adult. Anything to get through it. I'm an ex-needle phobic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lucy!
    I'm a needle phobic too 😥 As in i faint and vomit 😁 I'm only early stages for infertility treatment, my first appointment in a few weeks, but I am freaking out!! I know (as you do) that sometimes it just has to be done, but I'd love to hear any stories of successfully "conquering" this phobia!