+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Oh I wasn't referring to you when I was talking about the cooking from scratch. I've just heard people talk about this amazing concept of cooking from scratch using a thermomix as though before the thermomix it was something that simply couldn't happen.

I've seen people on Facebook and Instagram bake a batch of biscuits or make soup and carry on as though they've just performed a miracle!

Like I said earlier, I can see it might make a big difference in that regard if you didn't already cook from scratch - but if you do it doesn't seem to make that much difference. Or not enough to convince me anyway.

Hence if I was in the OP's shoes I'd choose KA.
    This. I just don't get it either. I just made bone broth in my slow cooker. All from scratch, nothing added. I do agree it has enthused people get get cooking which is a good thing
    Last edited by lilypily; 30-05-2014 at 06:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I love my Kitchenaid and I love gazing at it on my bench when I'm not using it, as it's pretty. I also use an air fryer, not as often and it's only an Aldi one, but it's useful too and if I bought one again, would buy a Tefal one.

As for a Thermomix, I wouldn't have a clue as I don't have one, my Sister and SIL rave about there's, but I don't feel the need to buy one myself.

Good Luck with your decision, very exciting!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Phony  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    I totally agree with this. I've done a lot of reading on the thermomix and the only benefit I can see (for me) is the stirring while making sauces, which is what I believe they are used for in professional kitchens anyway.

I do not understand comments about how much money a thermomix saves. The often cited example is how much money is saved on making butter. I have tried making butter at home and I know that 300ml of cream will yield 125 grams of butter. This works out to be considerably more expensive than just buying a block of butter. Butter can easily be made in any stand mixer or easily by hand -just keep on whipping until it turns to butter.

I don't understand how owning a Thermomix equates to additive free eating either.
    Well you get buttermilk too, when making butter from fresh cream. It depends on where you shop and what you buy. I remember reading on the quirky cooking blog that she lives near an organic dairy, so buys organic cream very cheaply there. Organic food is a priority for her so it is saving her money to make her own butter and buttermilk from cream.
    I make my own spread from bought butter which is one part butter to one part oil to one part water- the butter costs $1.55 for 250g, the oil works out at $1.21 per litre and I use filtered water from my tap so to make a large batch costs about $1.85. This makes about 700g of spread. The spread I used to buy was olive grove- $4.40 for 500g at coles. And the one I make now has 3 ingredients and I know what they are whereas all other options contain preservatives, unspecified veg oils, emulsifiers, colours, soy, flavouring etc. To me, it's handy to save money on things like this here and there and it's also nice to know what we are eating. I'm not a purist by any means- I still like a takeway now and then etc- but for the most part I believe we are eating better as a result of how we use the tmx.
    I think it's very possible to save money by using one- it just depends on the way you eat, your dietary needs etc. Same as additive free, as my example demonstrates- its in how you use it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for all the responses everyone
    Some great info and tips in there.

I think when the kids are older and much more adventurous with food, I would appreciate a Thermomix a lot more.
    As it is I only cook for 2 adults and two picky little eaters so I feel it's an expense (money is an issue) that I can live without for a while.
    I do like the sound of it though and I can see why those of you that have them, really, really love them

Now, I was looking up the Kitchen Aid yesterday and the one colour I would love doesn't seem to be available in Australia.
    Has anyone got a KA in Aqua Sky?
    The nearest shade is Ice but as I haven't seen that in a shop anywhere it's hard to tell what shade it really is.
    Has anyone got one that shade you could share a photo of?
    I'm going to pop into a Myer later today to see if they have one in that colour in stock, then buy online.Is this a good deal?
    Hope I'm allowed add the link.
    http://www.myer.com.au/shop/mystore/...d-mixer%3A-ice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Thanks for all the responses everyone
    Some great info and tips in there.

I think when the kids are older and much more adventurous with food, I would appreciate a Thermomix a lot more.
    As it is I only cook for 2 adults and two picky little eaters so I feel it's an expense (money is an issue) that I can live without for a while.
    I do like the sound of it though and I can see why those of you that have them, really, really love them

Now, I was looking up the Kitchen Aid yesterday and the one colour I would love doesn't seem to be available in Australia.
    Has anyone got a KA in Aqua Sky?
    The nearest shade is Ice but as I haven't seen that in a shop anywhere it's hard to tell what shade it really is.
    Has anyone got one that shade you could share a photo of?
    I'm going to pop into a Myer later today to see if they have one in that colour in stock, then buy online.Is this a good deal?
    Hope I'm allowed add the link.
    http://www.myer.com.au/shop/mystore/...d-mixer%3A-ice
    So jealous. They are such beautiful appliances

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Phony  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They are Moxy, and it's a real birthday treat.
    I hope I can stop oogling it enough to get it dirty

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Check peters of Kensington - they are only $690 from there - I have liquid graphite - probably not the colour I would have chosen ( mum and dad bought it) but it does work with my kitchen - plus the glass bowl is great
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1401409864.656577.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Phony  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks Elijahs Mum.
    They do seem to sell the gadgets a little cheaper too.
    I thought the Myer deal was good because they give a second mixing bowl and a flex edge beater, both worth about $170 to buy separately.
    Unless the second bowl is standard?
    I don't think it is though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Phony, the Myer deal's not that great compared to http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/...rs-Attachments

they're cheaper and at the moment you get a free cookbook. I have bought from them and was very happy. You may have to check if your colour is there though. The Cobalt blue and Boysenberry re striking colours too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Phony  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    @Phony, the Myer deal's not that great compared to http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/...rs-Attachments

they're cheaper and at the moment you get a free cookbook. I have bought from them and was very happy. You may have to check if your colour is there though. The Cobalt blue and Boysenberry re striking colours too.
    Checked the link. Who's buying a brown kitchenaid?!

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast