+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dansci0 View Post
    Can I ask what airfryer you have??
    Philips Viva Airfryer. It's great! (Downside: it doesn't fry a huuuuge amount but enough to do a batch of sausage rolls or pieces of fish for our family of 3 - 2 adults and a child).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyChubbles For This Useful Post:

Phony  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I didn't buy a thermomix for health! I make way more naughty foods since getting it!! Argh!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I don't use a Thermomix for necessarily healthy things either. But I do have a family of inlaws with lots of food allergies/intolerances. So being able to grind my own nut meal, make my own rice flour, cook easy substitute meals (as per Quirky Cooking) is a definite benefit of it, but certainly not the ONLY reason I got it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's not the thermomix itself that is healthier. It's the fact that you can make many things from scratch minus preservatives, excessive sugar and salt, using good fats instead of bad etc *with ease*. Take bread for example. I can make a bread dough in just a few minutes. I can add whatever seeds or raisins etc that I want. I use whatever type of oil I want. The dough is proving within minutes, I don't have flour everywhere and haven't had to spend time kneading etc. it's fast and it's easy. If I had to make it by hand- I wouldn't bother. I don't have the time required. If you do, that's great- I'm not selling thermies so that's cool with me - but this is what people mean when they refer to health benefits. It's fast and easy to make healthier foods.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (30-05-2014),Phony  (30-05-2014),Tamtam  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yeh I don't get why a thermomix is healthier and you use less additives ? I don't use additives and cook most things myself ?
    additive wise- I now make my own stock, gravies from scratch, sorbets that contain nothing but fruit, ice and milled Rapadura- even yoghurt from scratch. Before all these things were store bought. So had preservatives, additives etc. all those number ingredients I've seen you mention in other threads, you know? There are other things but I think you'll see what I mean. For some people the ability to remove those additives with ease is pretty appealing. We don't have any additive sensitivities but I know other families who have benefitted greatly from them. As I said before, not for everyone, but just wanted to address your comment re additives

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh ok no worries I get what you mean - I always make my own stock and sauces anyway but if you didn't I suppose the thermie would be quicker - I have heard stocks are quick to make - how long would say a chicken stock take to make?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    No... With respects of course, but they're not. There's so much that's easy with a tmx that is much harder from scratch. Have you ever made hollandaise from scratch on the stove? I would not consider that easy at all. Eggs sous vide? Your own nut milk? Infused olive oils? Puff pastry? Fresh fruit sorbet? Just a few examples. And conversely, I've always loved to cook and still do. I've just expanded my repertoire considerably!

I get that they aren't for everyone, that's cool, but they do make many things easier and many recipes more accessible as well as the option for healthier foods, less additives etc.

Hollandaise - yes I've made it on the stove and in a food processor. I can't see an inherent benefit in the thermomix there.

Nut milk - I have no use for.

Sorbet - I make quite regularly and without much effort.

I've only ever made garlic infused olive oil but I don't see how that is a chore without a thermomix?

I haven't ever made puff pastry so you may have me there. I do use a mixer for other types of pastry though and I can't see how the process is any different to the thermomix in terms of time and effort involved.

I get they are useful and handy. I just don't see them as this revolutionary tool that some people seem to think they are.

As for the 'cooking from scratch' argument that gets trotted out - my mind boggles.

Ultimately, I think the people who make and market them have been very clever in broadening their appeal from a very useful appliance for professional chefs and into a trendy 'must have' for the rest of us.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-05-2014),Mod-Uniquey  (30-05-2014),oozzle  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have wanted a thermomix for over a year. Bought a Bellini earlier in the week and I absolutely love it. I use it multiple times day. But I have been cooking from scratch, avoiding additives and preservatives for over a year now so that part of it hasn't changed.

What I love is how quick and easy it is to make. 2 under 2 and a 5 year old preppy means I am time poor and I love how quick I can whip things up and only use the one bowl, hence less cleaning!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

Phony  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Hollandaise - yes I've made it on the stove and in a food processor. I can't see an inherent benefit in the thermomix there.

Nut milk - I have no use for.

Sorbet - I make quite regularly and without much effort.

I've only ever made garlic infused olive oil but I don't see how that is a chore without a thermomix?

I haven't ever made puff pastry so you may have me there. I do use a mixer for other types of pastry though and I can't see how the process is any different to the thermomix in terms of time and effort involved.

I get they are useful and handy. I just don't see them as this revolutionary tool that some people seem to think they are.

As for the 'cooking from scratch' argument that gets trotted out - my mind boggles.

Ultimately, I think the people who make and market them have been very clever in broadening their appeal from a very useful appliance for professional chefs and into a trendy 'must have' for the rest of us.
    Yeah look, I was giving examples, not the ultimate list of stuff I can make faster/more easily than you
    Things like hollandaise- it takes literally minutes. You set the temperature. It's really hard to stuff up. Not so on the stove. I'm sure there are other things of a similar nature. A lot of it too is that it's done in one dish- so instead of chopping veg in a processor and putting it in a pan- it's all in one. Cuts down cleaning stuff. I effing hate cleaning stuff! So say infused oil- I did a basil one recently- the oil needs to be heated with the basil in it then later I puréed the basil through- all in one. Not a saucepan then a blender. (I'm sure there are better examples btw)

I don't know what you mean by mind boggling over cooking from scratch? Genuine q? When I refer to it it's only to say that many people who have a tmx cook stuff from scratch that they otherwise would not. It's not an argument though- it's just an appliance. I love mine and know we eat better because of it and how I choose to use it but I'm not fussed if others don't want one- it's like anything though- best to know all the facts etc

I do think it's a revolutionary tool for many people simply because it has them enthused about cooking, trying new things, making more from scratch and saving time. With the exception of the knock off versions- no other appliance can do all of the same things. I didn't get one to be trendy- no one I knew had one and more than one thinks I'm mad for buying one. To each their own I reckon- I would just say to really look into them and decide if it's for you.
    Last edited by Atropos; 29-05-2014 at 22:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I wasn't referring to you when I was talking about the cooking from scratch. I've just heard people talk about this amazing concept of cooking from scratch using a thermomix as though before the thermomix it was something that simply couldn't happen.

I've seen people on Facebook and Instagram bake a batch of biscuits or make soup and carry on as though they've just performed a miracle!

Like I said earlier, I can see it might make a big difference in that regard if you didn't already cook from scratch - but if you do it doesn't seem to make that much difference. Or not enough to convince me anyway.

Hence if I was in the OP's shoes I'd choose KA.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (30-05-2014),Atropos  (30-05-2014),Cat74  (01-06-2014),HappyBovinexx  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    I totally agree with this. I've done a lot of reading on the thermomix and the only benefit I can see (for me) is the stirring while making sauces, which is what I believe they are used for in professional kitchens anyway.

I do not understand comments about how much money a thermomix saves. The often cited example is how much money is saved on making butter. I have tried making butter at home and I know that 300ml of cream will yield 125 grams of butter. This works out to be considerably more expensive than just buying a block of butter. Butter can easily be made in any stand mixer or easily by hand -just keep on whipping until it turns to butter.

I don't understand how owning a Thermomix equates to additive free eating either.
    It may not equate to additive free eating but I think it can help. Lots of people that are time poor may find it easier to cook from scratch with a thermomix and therefore eliminate packet or jar meal basis.

I have a Kitchen Aid Mixer and a thermy and I find them both useful. I have lovely cast iron pots too and I love them as well! I don't think I can justify the expense of a thermy for our family (it was a gift) but I sure as heck wouldn't give it back!

OP, I think if you think you won't get a lot of use out of the thermy, you're probably right, so go with instincts.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Phony  (30-05-2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast