+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a kitchenaid mixer and an air fryer (plus a great food processor) and just love them. I cook most things from scratch, and find that the mixer is a pleasure to use (and it looks great on the bench ). The air fryer is awesome, I cook most oven stuff in there and everything comes out really nicely

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Go the KitchenAid.

If you've already got saucepans and a food processor etc and know your way around the kitchen then a thermomix is overrated.
    I'd disagree there. I had all those things but still find I am a more adventurous cook with a thermomix.

OP I've heard very good things about the kitchen aid and air fryers, and if you don't think you'd use a thermomix then I wouldn't buy one. Get to a couple of demos if you can though, or watch online to get an idea of it's capabilities- there's a lot you can do with it that aren't necessarily saucy dishes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I'd disagree there. I had all those things but still find I am a more adventurous cook with a thermomix.

OP I've heard very good things about the kitchen aid and air fryers, and if you don't think you'd use a thermomix then I wouldn't buy one. Get to a couple of demos if you can though, or watch online to get an idea of it's capabilities- there's a lot you can do with it that aren't necessarily saucy dishes.
    By all means try to convince me otherwise! I've asked and asked thermo users how it would make cooking easier/ better but no one has managed to give me reasons as to why it is demonstrably better. With the exception of cooking for allergies.

Don't get me wrong - I want to be convinced. I want to want one. I just can't see how it would revolutionise my kitchen.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with @Atropos.
    The thermomix has improved my cooking and made me way more adventurous.
    Eg I made 60 degree eggs on the weekend. Well thermie did with a press of a few buttons.
    I've also made my own egg custard. ..sorbet... jams. Gosh. ..strawberry jam done in 40 minutes with a punnet of strawberries, lemon and sugar. Set thermie and walk away.
    I've made my own gravy from roasting chicken using the juices. It was so easy because as the chicken was resting and I was serving veggies thermie was stirring/cooking my gravy.
    I also make all my own bread now. Plus make pull garlic/herb breads etc. Thermie makes hollandaise sauce in a few minutes. Stirring and cooking etc.
    I make zucchini slice in a few minutes. Thermie cuts/grates and sautes... mixes the egg then I pour into dish to cook in oven.
    Love that I can put the porridge in and turn it on and play with my daughter or drink a cup of tea without any effort.
    Yes I'm a thermie convert. I didn't buy it to create foods without preservatives or to avoid allergies/intolerance. I bought it to improve my cooking and simply save some time doing 'hands on' in the kitchen and free up time to play with my daughter. I've had it 6 months and I'm not disappointed. Oh and it sounds crazy but I can actually cook rice now. Haha.

Yeah.. okay. . that was long!!
    ETA don't get me started on how easy bechamel sauce is!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah but ... You can do most of that just as easily without one?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah but ... You can do most of that just as easily without one?
    Not sure you were asking me but I'll answer!! Haha.
    Absolutely you can do everything you enjoy cooking without a thermomix. But it certainly makes it easy. So I would say it's easier than conventional stove cooking.
    Eg... making proper bechamel you melt butter...add flour to sizzle. . then slowly add milk and stir. In thermie you put all the stuff in...set the timer/heat/speed and walk away.
    Same for a lot of things. Like risotto. A lot of these things I'm competent at making without thermomix... but it makes my life in the kitchen easier. Quicker. And tastes pretty good. I also love that I don't chop onions anymore.

(There are things it can't do too. I've had some meringue making disasters... but I had those before thermie as well!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't even know what a kitchen aid is, but I've been to 3 thermo demos now and have decided not to buy one.

ETA - the meals were nice but I wouldn't serve my family risotto for dinner. I wouldn't make béchamel sauce (lasagne?) and cutting your own bread is a pita! I also wouldn't serve pizza for dinner and we don't eat ice cream/custard/sorbet enough to warrant buying one.

I also like cooking as down time.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 29-05-2014 at 18:43.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Phony  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see that the walk away without needing to stir aspect might make it slightly easier - but not $2000 easier!

A food processor chops onions so that's not really a benefit unique to a thermomix.

I'm sure they're very handy if you aren't big on cooking to begin with - or running a commercial kitchen - but honestly jams and sauces and pastry and risottos and cake batters really are just as easy without them.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Kitchen Aid & Air fryer or Thermomix?

I can see that the walk away without needing to stir aspect might make it slightly easier - but not $2000 easier!

A food processor chops onions so that's not really a benefit unique to a thermomix.

I'm sure they're very handy if you aren't big on cooking to begin with - or running a commercial kitchen - but honestly jams and sauces and pastry and risottos and cake batters really are just as easy without them.
    Yep. They are a big expense. I love cooking. I love cooking even more with one. I didn't have a good food processor or anything before I got one. So for me it's awesome. But it's a personal decision and not everyone will like them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you were just starting out stocking up a kitchen they would probably be very good value.