+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Kitchen Aid & Air fryer or Thermomix?

So I'm in the lovely position of being able to choose which I want for my birthday pressie. It's a biggy - I'm 40 and I think DH is trying to avert a crisis of some sort so I'm playing along.
    Oh poor me...sob...I'll have that one and that one and ooooh that one in three colours hehehe, kidding!

Anyway, he has decided it has to be bought and wrapped for the day itself (PRESSURE) and I can't decide which would be better.
    The Thermomix - I'm not convinced this is suited to us -
    or a Kitchen Aid and an Air-fryer.

The reasons I'm not going gaga for a Thermomix is my kids just will NOT eat anything saucy.
    So soups , stews, curries, all the meals that are easy to do in there just don't get cooked too often in this house anyway.
    And then of course is the whopping price tag.

On the other hand, I would love a decent mixer.
    The Kitchen Aid is something I've been oogling for a long while (to the tune of En Vogue's 'Never ever gonna get it') so I think a combo of that and an air-fryer for the kids finger food they love so much, (home made nuggets, sweet potato chips, crispy prawns etc etc) would be the perfect combo..
    BUT...
    Am I mad though? Am I the only woman in living history to turn down a Thermomix?
    Will I regret it and sulk like a child forever ultimately resulting in my DH leaving me for a woman who has a Thermy to warm the cockles of his heart?
    A Kitchen aid and air fryer would still come in at around half the cost of a Thermomix too, so that's appealing as well.
    Have I just answered my own questions?
    No...I was asking if I'm mad to refuse one.
    What would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely go the kitchen aid mixer and air fryer.. I'm not convinced I would use a thermomix enough to justify the pice tag, where as I use my breville mixer at least weekly and my air fryer most days for chips, home made nuggets etc.. You can make heaps of stuff in an airfryer once you get your head around it.. Cakes and everything apparently.. Haven't tried yet! Hope this helps

Lansie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lansie For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I absolutely love my kitchen aid and Tefal 2in1 acti fry (air fryer).. I too don't think a thermi is suited to our meat and 3 veg family dinner style

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnyderu For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have both a thermomix and a kitchenaid. Since I have got my thermomix I haven't touched my kitchenaid!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to loz09 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love my KitchenAid with all my heart!

My friend has a thermomix and having been to a demo, I just don't think I'd get enough use out if it to justify the expense. We are a BBQ'd meat, roast potato and salad dinner family. My husband won't eat soup, casseroles or cooked veggies (with the exception of corn and potato he only eats them raw).
    The next appliance on my wishlist is a magimix food processor. My sister has one, and occasionally I borrow it and use it non-stop!
    If you go for the KitchenAid, I can highly recommend getting the ice-cream maker attachment!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (29-05-2014),Phony  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    This is exactly me. Kitchen aid is in the storage room and Thermomix in the kitchen bench used daily.

Thermomix is not just about soups, stews, risotto etc... You can make sorbet & icecream, cake/muffin/slice/pancake batters, dough for bread/pizza/pasta, grind your own flours, poached and boiled eggs, omelettes, steam fish & vegetables etc....
    I know!! I feel like I need to sell it but she's so pretty!! Haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thermomix is over rated IMO. Go kitchen aid

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I would go kitchen Aid and Air fryer. I think the air fryer alone would get more use.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I also vote kitchen aid - I'm not a fan of the thermomix as I think it takes all the fun out of cooking - I like things simmering on the stove ( but I do have time and only 1 kid so can see its benefits if you are time poor)

I also have the kitchen aid food processor - can you add that to your pressy as well!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

oozzle  (29-05-2014),Phony  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a kitchen aid and a thermie.
    Kitchen aid i still use all the time for baking as i find its better than thermie for creaming butter and whipping etc - but i am an obsessive baker, thermie is fine for baking just kitchen aid is better.
    Thermie i use everyday, someday its just for chopping/grinding veg or nuts or spices, other days i cook the whole meal in it.
    I dont really do many 'saucy meals' lots of stuff like steaming chicken or fish with rice or veg below...i grate veg and mince fresh meat to make pies, sausage rolls, rissoles etc - and i have to say, its amazing for things like custard and sauces, pretty cool to be able to make custard from scratch in 7 mins without standing there stirring!
    the main reason i love thermie is i can control exactly what is going in what we eat. Eg when i make custard i know its JUST eggs, flour, milk and however much sugar I want to add...no preservatives, no chemicals to lengthen life of product etc...
    but to be honest, it sounds strange, but you do need to make a bit of an effort to use it, lookup recipes etc. probably the first 6 months we had it i just used it as a fancy food processor...then i started making the effort to learn how to use it and find recipes my family would like and now it really does make life ALOT easier.
    novel over, sorry!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to phoebebebe For This Useful Post:

Phony  (29-05-2014)