+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I do, I have it on most of the day. My kids don't really pay attention to it, just dance to the occasional song, or point out birds/cats/etc. to me
    They like the songs on giggle and hoot, so I say that's their favorite show even though we don't watch it that often (most of the time we have it on our channels).
    We interact heaps, so we never sit and watch passively. My eldest has a great vocabulary and runs around playing most of the day, I don't think it's doing any harm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    [QUOTE=Party of Three;7795309

As for ipads/iphones when out...I have never used them. I've always found books/colouring in/a pack of go fish cards has kept my kids entertained. Sure it's more work for me when we're waiting in for the doctor for an hour, and sometimes the kids complain of being bored, but I think it's okay for kids to learn to be patient when they're bored. My kids don't have special needs, so of course that's different, but I don't think people need to laugh and make out like every parent will resort to ipads/iphones in a waiting room. If it's important enough to the OP to not do it, then she'll find other ways of amusing her child/ren.[/QUOTE]

See, I just can't agree with this with toddlers, in the most part. It's all about personality. It's not like I haven't tried to distract DD in other ways, an iPad isn't an 'easy way out' it just what works for her.

I don't believe the 'if it's important enough' reasoning either. What if books and teddies and colouring doesn't work for the OP? If it's important enough, she has to stay home to save the stress of a toddler who just won't give up? It might be important, but you can't change your child's personality, sorry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    See, I just can't agree with this with toddlers, in the most part. It's all about personality. It's not like I haven't tried to distract DD in other ways, an iPad isn't an 'easy way out' it just what works for her.

I don't believe the 'if it's important enough' reasoning either. What if books and teddies and colouring doesn't work for the OP? If it's important enough, she has to stay home to save the stress of a toddler who just won't give up? It might be important, but you can't change your child's personality, sorry.
    I have three kids, all with very different personalities and haven't used electronic devices when out once. So I will agree to disagree with you. It's the same as bribing for good behaviour when out, I have never bribed my kids with a chocolate/lolly/toy when out shopping. Not because I have angel children, nor because I've never been tempted to to make my life easier, but because we (hubby and I) decided it wasn't something we wanted to do. And yes, sometimes we've looked at each other after the end of a horrific shopping trip and said 'we should have just bribed them' and laughed about it and moved on. Everyone parents differently, and if the OP is absolutely certain she won't use electronic devices to entertain her child when out then it could certainly be believed that she won't. When we were growing up it wasn't an option because they didn't exist, and there's no way that the toddler's of this generation all have some new personality that no toddler ever had one generation ago. That doesn't mean the parents didn't end up frazzled up sometimes, but it's okay to decide on some patience testing shopping trips over an ipad if that's what the individual would rather.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Arlais  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD2 is 16mths old & never watches tv, unless it's on the music channel and "Happy" comes on.

I have actually tried to get her interested in a program so I can chill out a bit, but she is not interested at all.

I think young babies much prefer to be able to see the world around them, then to watch tv. It never even occurred to me to put the tv on for my young baby, she spent her awake time on her play mat, rocker or swing, this seemed to keep her happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wish my kids would sit glued to tv/iPods sometimes. But they're really not interested.

Would've been handy on our long haul flight to and from Ireland last month, but even frozen couldn't keep them entertained on the plane.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    I have three kids, all with very different personalities and haven't used electronic devices when out once.
    Maybe your kids have a different personality to Allies kid? Or perhaps you have a different personality to Allie? Doesn't make either one better than the other

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I watch news over breakfast but after that tv goes off for the day. Dd8mths is busy eating and making goo goo eyes at her brother to care much for it. She doesn't really pay much attention to it at all.

Definitely no 'favourite' shows. I pondered putting on play school the other day. Until I realised it was 6pm and those kinds of shows are all over by then. But before this I hadn't even thought to change it to a kids channel at any point for her specifically to watch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    TV is on as background noise most of the day. I live catching up in shows while doing chores. Very occasionally will I put a baby DVD on for my 4 month old... He is not really interested though. My toddler may get an hour or so of targeted toddler TV per day (on non daycare days)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Maybe your kids have a different personality to Allies kid? Or perhaps you have a different personality to Allie? Doesn't make either one better than the other
    Where did I say one is better than other? I never did. I just don't understand the need for the smug 'wait until you have a toddler and tell me how those teddies are working out for you?' remarks that have appeared in this thread. What's the point? Maybe the OP will change her mind and decide that an ipad at a long appt is okay, or maybe she will pack a little backpack of toys to entertain her toddler with instead. Does it matter? No. All I was trying to say is that it is a perfectly feasible idea for a parent to decide they won't entertain their toddler when out with electronic devices. IT's happened for many generations before, so the op probably doesn't need the smug attitudes when it clearly can be done if so desired.
    Last edited by Full House; 29-05-2014 at 22:30.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

BlueLips  (31-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Where did I say one is better than other? I never did. I just don't understand the need for the smug 'wait until you have a toddler and tell me how those teddies are working out for you?' remarks that have appeared in this thread. What's the point? Maybe the OP will change her mind and decide that an ipad at a long appt is okay, or maybe she will pack a little backpack of toys to entertain her toddler with instead. Does it matter? No. All I was trying to say is that it is a perfectly feasible idea for a parent to decide they won't entertain their toddler when out with electronic devices. IT's happened for many generations before, so the op probably doesn't need the smug attitudes when it clearly can be done if so desired.
    You didn't. But the post Allie originally responded to judged parents who take devices out with them to entertain children. "I don't like it when I see parents blah blah blah". Allie was simply saying in response not every child responds to colouring and teddies.

So, to be fair to Allie she probably felt judged because she is such parent. And because there might have been a time in her life where she also thought she wouldn't take devices with her but, guess what, she does.

And for the record I don't when we go out (and I have 4 kids in tow), nor do I bribe, but who cares if other people do.

One of the things that annoys me on this forum is a person's inability to say "I don't like xyz" and instead saying "I don't like it when other parents do xyz", when it's something that has zero impact on that person anyway.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (29-05-2014)