+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The Tv is on all day here as background noise.

Sometimes Dd who is 4 months old watches it but most of the time she's not interested in it unless her 5 year old sister is watching cartoons and then she gets drawn in by the colours and sounds.

Dd is my first baby and her sister is my step daughter but I've never worried about the Tv being on to be honest. She spends majority of her days playing with toys or her dad, sister and I. She doesn't know what she's watching anyway, even though it's on all of the time none of us watch it for extended periods of time, I just hate silence.

Dd will even sit next to her dad in the bouncer at night when it's late and she's awake and watch him play xbox. :O

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlais View Post
    I'm another that has the tv on as background if I'm home during the day. My bub is only 9 weeks old, so she doesn't have much awake time yet. She'll stay in her bouncer for maybe 15 mins at a time. It faces out across the entry hall to our library, so she can see everything in the lounge and towards a window. Mostly she's interested in the toy bar, but she will turn her head to see the tv. I don't have any kids programs showing yet - bub seems mostly attracted to news programs where there's a lot of faces.

I don't have a problem with kids watching a little bit of tv, but I don't like seeing parents whip out an iPad to keep the kids quiet when they're out. My constant companions when I was out with my parents were a book and my teddy.

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app
    hmm wait and see! My DD (12mo) watches 'In the Night Garden' every day. She is often tired but not ready for bed at that time so it's some down time. She sits on either DH or my lap so we cuddle too.

as for the iPad issue... Sorry but maybe when your bubba is a toddler you will change your mind! My DD is pure devil spawn in the car, to keep the trip tolerable I give her my iPhone with a fisher price app on. Whatever works to keep our sanity!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD2 is 6mo and loves Night Garden. She lets out a little squeal of delight when upsy daisy comes on. I was told in my maternal health classes it's just flickering to them and they can't actually see anything but her reaction to Upsy Daisy EVERY time is at odds with that theory.

It's how I get dinner cooked and things done. I don't leave her in front of the tv all day but it's my saviour when I can't be in two places at once. DD1 never really watched much tv her attention span was too short. She's 2.5 and is madly in love with play school at the moment.

I'm an iPad mum and I make no apologies for it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-05-2014),Acadaca  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is almost 2. He watches Peppa and In The Night Garden. No interest in anything else!

I'm of the mindset that until I have walked a mile in the life of that person, I will not judge. I recently had someone come up to me at a cafe and have a go at me because my DS was watching Peppa on the iPad. Belittled my parenting in front of a crowded cafe. Little did she realise it was our first outing after one of his many long hospital admissions, and we were getting out of the house for my sanity! I actually got so upset that I cancelled our order and went home.
    So please, just keep your judgement to yourself until you know the circumstances.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbajah For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (30-05-2014),lilypily  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    why not???

teddies and books don't work for my toddler when out and about. She is active, independent and has a short attention span, the ONLY thing that will stop her screaming the place down when out in a high chair is the iPad. It's the only way we can enjoy being out and we don't p**s everyone off with a screaming toddler. What do you suggest we do?

ill never judge a parent who has the tv on for babies or uses iPads or phones when out and about as I don't know their situation. Have you thought that maybe it's the only way they can get their family out of the house?
    I never judge parents with iPads at restaurant tables either but I do try to not give my 3 year old an iPad or iPhone when we're dining out. Purely because I don't want her to be dependent on it when she's older (primary school age).

I want her to be able to sit at a table and join in with conversation. It's hard now, but we get around tantrums and restlessness by distracting her, praising her when she's well behaved, the odd bribe, and really we just don't go out if we can tell she'll be in an irritable mood. Now she's 3.5 she's pretty good.

But ask me again once I have 2 kids! I think whatever works for families is fine. Again, I don't judge other parents, it's just not for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We love tv in this house, we love outdoor play, we love dancing, cooking and hanging out the washing. There is nothing wrong with TV for babies or toddlers or kids in my opinion.

I also an iPad, iPhone and ianything mummy and also make no apologies for it. Be it the plane, restaurant, car or shopping trolly if anybody tired to say anything to me in a cafe they would be met with a rude reply. When they are old enough to sit and act like an adult they will until then god bless peppa pig and iPhone

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-05-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    You have a 9 week old!...wait until you have a toddler and a very long wait at an appointment then come back and say that
    Was just going to say the exact same thing, get back to us when you have a toddler and let's see how those teddies are working out for you
    Last edited by lilypily; 29-05-2014 at 21:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't believe one iota of all the 'TV is bad for kids' blah blah stuff. Seriously, everything is bad for kids if it's all they do/eat! It's not rocket science, and no need to over-think it. I can't remember ever thinking 'oh god, the TV has been on for too long DS might be damaged'. Sheesh, I have more important things to think about in life,

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-05-2014),Acadaca  (30-05-2014),Lillac  (29-05-2014),lilypily  (29-05-2014),Purple Lily  (29-05-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (29-05-2014),Wise Enough  (29-05-2014)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My 4 month old has watched tv briefly but i think he's a bit young to get much entertainment out of it...he soon goes back to playing with his toys or wanting my attention.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I discouraged tv under the age of 2, but it got a bit harder by the time I got to no. 3. Having three under 4 and having them all be cranky and fighting at the end of the day why I tried to cook dinner meant the tv was my life saver to keep them from killing each other. Now they're 8, 6 and 4, they read a book while waiting for dinner. I never have the tv on as background noise. I can't stand it. So far this week my kids have watched 1/2 hr of tv and that will probably be it. Our tv is password protected so that the kids can't just turn it on and watch it. They have to ask first and I generally re-direct them to something else, which they are happy to do. I find the more they watch tv, the more they want to watch tv. When we don't turn it on much they forget it's there and amuse themselves in other ways.

As for ipads/iphones when out...I have never used them. I've always found books/colouring in/a pack of go fish cards has kept my kids entertained. Sure it's more work for me when we're waiting in for the doctor for an hour, and sometimes the kids complain of being bored, but I think it's okay for kids to learn to be patient when they're bored. My kids don't have special needs, so of course that's different, but I don't think people need to laugh and make out like every parent will resort to ipads/iphones in a waiting room. If it's important enough to the OP to not do it, then she'll find other ways of amusing her child/ren.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast