+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never have the tv on in the background and even now at 2 dd gets play school and Peppa pig in the afternoon whilst I do dinner. It would take me 10x as long to cool with her wanting to 'help' otherwise, bless her. She does get Peppa on the DVD player whilst we are out travelling as well (I'm talking 1hr+ trips)

Dh and I watch very, very little tv - maybe once a week each - so I can't imagine letting dd watch heaps. This might change though when #2 arrives so I certainly don't judge parents who use the tv to get jobs done or attend to other kids

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When DS was a baby, he didn't really watch TV.

As a young toddler, he still wasn't that interested.

Now at 3 years old he'd have ABC 4 Kids on TV all day long if we let him - he loves it! We don't let him though.

Even when the TV is on, he still tends to go around the house playing with toys etc. There are few shows he'll actually intently watch.

I don't really think watching TV is a big deal if children have a day balanced with other activities (toys, outdoor play, outings, books etc.).

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-05-2014),Purple Lily  (29-05-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd1 never watched tv as such. Sometimes she as an infant or baby would be in the room as I watched tv but nothing for her.

Dd2 also never watched tv properly. Now at 2&4 I have abc2 on for an hour in the mornings and an hour in the afternoons to get jobs done.

That's pretty much it. Occ dd1 will get a movie to watch in the arvo whilst dd2 sleeps and I'm filling catering orders.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I watch tv a lot, when DS was around 9 months I had it on for me not for him so he wasn't really interested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlais View Post
    I don't have a problem with kids watching a little bit of tv, but I don't like seeing parents whip out an iPad to keep the kids quiet when they're out. My constant companions when I was out with my parents were a book and my teddy.
    Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app
    why not???

teddies and books don't work for my toddler when out and about. She is active, independent and has a short attention span, the ONLY thing that will stop her screaming the place down when out in a high chair is the iPad. It's the only way we can enjoy being out and we don't p**s everyone off with a screaming toddler. What do you suggest we do?

ill never judge a parent who has the tv on for babies or uses iPads or phones when out and about as I don't know their situation. Have you thought that maybe it's the only way they can get their family out of the house?

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (30-05-2014),VicPark  (29-05-2014),Wise Enough  (29-05-2014),~Marigold~  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd1 is 3 and watches tv at various points in the day. She also does lots of other hands on things so I don't have a problem. She doesn't have naps anymore so it's used for quiet time.

Dd2 is only 5 months, and doesn't watch tv... she's more interested in her hands at the moment.

I don't have a problem with kids watching a little bit of tv, but I don't like seeing parents whip out an iPad to keep the kids quiet when they're out. My constant companions when I was out with my parents were a book and my teddy.
    You know you can download books on an ipad, right?

We're going out for dinner tonight and are taking the tablet in case dd1 starts getting a bit rowdy while we're waiting for our meals. It's more efficient than bringing a colouring book, pencils and a few toys like I used to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

I was like that too until I had a son with SN and then I realised how judgemental I was being when I didnt know all the facts.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (30-05-2014),Wise Enough  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

You have a 9 week old!...wait until you have a toddler and a very long wait at an appointment then come back and say that

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-05-2014),Acadaca  (30-05-2014),Angels4me  (29-05-2014),atomicmama  (29-05-2014),LoCo  (30-05-2014),Mezmerised  (29-05-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (29-05-2014),Smyles  (29-05-2014),Wise Enough  (29-05-2014),~Marigold~  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With dd I was almost obsessive about no tv. However I did start to let her watch in the night garden. This was the only show which she sit still and watch.
    When ds came along I was way more relaxed about tv and he really loves it even from a young age.
    Admittedly both kids watch more than I would like but if it keeps them from constantly interrupting or fighting when i am cooking or doing other chores then I would rather let them watch rather than screaming at them and getting frustrated.

I don't know about long term effects but both my kids can sit still and do puzzles, play card games, draw etc and concentrate for long periods despite the amount of tv they watch.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    She didnt start watching tv until she was 1. The tv is always on but she never paid attention or gave a crap about it.

Now she is 18 months she loves Arthur but thats its. If its not Arthur she doesn't pay attention.