+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would if she showed an interest

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When DS was a baby his favourite show was Deal or No Deal. He didn't really watch much tv because I didn't really need to put it on for him.
    DD watches plenty of TV. Maybe on average an hour a day? Certainly more than zero. And has done since very young. Unless you don't have a tv at all, it's impossible to stop a second child watching tv. Like BRV though she unfortunately has little interest in watching it, much to my dismay.
    Besides I was pretty sure those recommendations were amended as they are unrealistic.

Eta yep http://mobile.philly.com/blogs/?wss=.../&id=229483331
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 29-05-2014 at 06:57.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think you're friends are having a light hearted joke.

This is the sort of thing you care deeply about with only one or even two kids but honestly it really doesn't matter. My first had no tv before she was 2 but my 4th could probably recite Peppa Pig and she's not yet 10 months old.
    I totally agree. Our first didn't watch a television show until she was 2+, then only Playschool. Our second (12 months) is right now hanging out in front of the screen with her big sister. Just try and keep her away!
    I've seen people sit immobile babies right in front of the telly, in a bouncer or some such. That does not sit right with me - the babe can't escape/turn away etc if it gets overwhelming.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I would if she showed an interest
    This was DS2. He's only just started watching it in the past couple of months and still he will only watch it for a little bit.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd1 only watched "my" shows when she was a infant, it wasn't really until she was almost 2 that abc kids came on in our house. That was only because I was heavily pregnant and exhausted. Dd2 always had the tv on since birth pretty much because her sister was watching it. Like most others it's mainly background noise. It is funny though they can be playing outside then hear the Peppa Pig music and go running inside.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to winterbaby For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    I've seen people sit immobile babies right in front of the telly, in a bouncer or some such. That does not sit right with me - the babe can't escape/turn away etc if it gets overwhelming.
    Oh no I do that so she isn't bored. She does cry when she has had enough. Maybe I should stop doing that and bring her near the kitchen so she can watch me (I do that sometimes)?She doesn't like staying in her porta cot by herself, gets too bored easily. My DD is 4 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think you're friends are having a light hearted joke.

This is the sort of thing you care deeply about with only one or even two kids but honestly it really doesn't matter.
    True, I'm not thinking about what it would be like to have more than one child. I will probably be more relaxed with the next. As for the light hearted joke; it was definitely a light hearted conversation but I'm fairly certain they're not joking, and judging by the comments on here it's quite possible their bubs could have favourite tv shows already.

I'm glad I asked, it's quite interesting really. I thought I was doing the same thing as everyone else, turns out I'm the strict one! I might relax the rules a little bit but I can't ever see myself being ok with having the TV on all day.
    @FearlessLeader, thanks for the link. It says the new reccomendations suggest you discourage under 2's from screen media exposure.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd is 18 months. As I type this she's watching the wiggles. She's been playing all morning plus had an OT session. So it's a little downtime. She'll crawl away when she's had enough.
    She's likes to watch Peppa...Giggle & Hoot and Cloudbabies. It's a life saver in this house. I wouldn't get dinner cooked without it.
    I don't think it's a big deal. As long as everything is balanced. I mean I like watching the tv for some downtime. Why wouldn't she?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-05-2014),JAG242  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD didn't really watch much tv before 2 - and she wasn't really interested in it until 2.5.
    DS has watched bits and pieces since he was born (because it was sometimes on for DD to watch). At 18 mths he has just recently become really interested and loves Peppa pig

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm another that has the tv on as background if I'm home during the day. My bub is only 9 weeks old, so she doesn't have much awake time yet. She'll stay in her bouncer for maybe 15 mins at a time. It faces out across the entry hall to our library, so she can see everything in the lounge and towards a window. Mostly she's interested in the toy bar, but she will turn her head to see the tv. I don't have any kids programs showing yet - bub seems mostly attracted to news programs where there's a lot of faces.

I don't have a problem with kids watching a little bit of tv, but I don't like seeing parents whip out an iPad to keep the kids quiet when they're out. My constant companions when I was out with my parents were a book and my teddy.

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app