+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think as long as you ask beforehand it's ok - I got caught out last year hosting my 9 year old nieces pool party - we said on the invite parents welcome to stay and most did but we ended up with 4 siblings they didn't tell me about - having the extra kids was not a problem as there was heaps of food but I organised the party games and lolly bags and prizes around the number of kids we thought were coming so I felt awful not be able to give them all something

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow, I haven't even thought ahead to all this in my future.
    It all seemed so casual with me and my sisters at backyard parties back in the day!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alexis243 For This Useful Post:

mamasurfs  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    I am not angry and i find you insinuating that i am, a tad offensive. I can not see how you came to that conclusion when i was simply stating a fact that comes from birthday parties for this age group.

In the age group 4-7, most parties invite everyone from the class unless it is at a play cafe or mcdonalds and then parents usually pay for the siblings and sit over to the side as a family so the parent can still supervise and the siblings are not part of the party. 4-6 year olds can not be left unsupervised by their parents and most kids do have siblings. This is a fact of life that most parent deals with when their child gets to school but all the parents do.

Some parents choose to have small get togethers with kids at their house after the kids turn 7-8 and then it is expected to drop and run and siblings are not invited.

Most kids parties in the 4-7yr age bracket are low key affairs with a park some food, pass the passel and cake.
    There aren't any rules about how it works. DD1 is a winter baby and has never had a park party.

If I know the family and I have to stay at the party sometimes the siblings come but usually they don't. I manage to avoid it if I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't bring siblings to parties, and I wouldn't like it if siblings came to my parties, which so far, none have. If it's at a party place, I have calculated to the dollar how many kids I can afford, if I could afford more, I would invite more friends, not siblings. If the party is at home, I love party planning and always have games, prizes, and home made bits and pieces made for each RSVP'd guest. Call me inflexible but I would be really put out and frazzled if another child was there uninvited and insisted on joining in.

OP I'm glad you found a sitter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    I am not angry and i find you insinuating that i am, a tad offensive. I can not see how you came to that conclusion when i was simply stating a fact that comes from birthday parties for this age group.

In the age group 4-7, most parties invite everyone from the class unless it is at a play cafe or mcdonalds and then parents usually pay for the siblings and sit over to the side as a family so the parent can still supervise and the siblings are not part of the party. 4-6 year olds can not be left unsupervised by their parents and most kids do have siblings. This is a fact of life that most parent deals with when their child gets to school but all the parents do.

Some parents choose to have small get togethers with kids at their house after the kids turn 7-8 and then it is expected to drop and run and siblings are not invited.

Most kids parties in the 4-7yr age bracket are low key affairs with a park some food, pass the passel and cake.

ummm, this is a pretty big generalisation lol

And, all the parties I have been to in the 4-7 age bracket have been total opposite of what you describe!

And, 9 and 10 have been special parties at venues and not home gatherings.

Just because you do things a certain way...or even your social group does things a certain way...doesn't mean it is universal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep my DS is also a winter baby so no park parties!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I don't bring siblings to parties, and I wouldn't like it if siblings came to my parties, which so far, none have. If it's at a party place, I have calculated to the dollar how many kids I can afford, if I could afford more, I would invite more friends, not siblings. If the party is at home, I love party planning and always have games, prizes, and home made bits and pieces made for each RSVP'd guest. Call me inflexible but I would be really put out and frazzled if another child was there uninvited and insisted on joining in.

You're not alone in your thinking! Thinking of the kids that my oldest had at her first school party, if siblings came along it would have made for an extra 11 kids from 5 friends. For a planned at home pool party, which ended up being in the house due to the rain. If I wanted 19 kids (friends + siblings + my 3) running around my house I would have just had a class party. However, because it was a planned pool party I wrote on the invitation that siblings couldn't attend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never had a problem with mums having to bring siblings. Sometimes people are just stuck for alternatives. Every mum has always let me know in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just had dd2's 2nd birthday party here at home. At this stage when I invite guests for all our parties siblings have always been invited. I made 17 lolly bags to ensure all children including siblings were given one and all children received something from the piñata. That's just how we have done it, and so far both dd's have both been invited to parties. I know once school parties start it won't always be this case.
    Dd1's party this year will be at mcdonalds as we only get home from overseas 2 days before so planning and catering a home gathering isn't do able, but if families want to bring siblings and buy them a happy meal and let them play great!! I will be buying extra goodie bag fillers and bits anyway and will be more than happy to give siblings a little something.

But op I think it would never hurt to ask the parent hosting future parties, if next time you can't get a baby sitter.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post

I'm the same I also start planing months ahead so I'm organised and not under finical strain

If I had no alternative care for my other children I would ask another mum or ask the host parent if it was ok to leave the child in there care