+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yeah when DD was younger, mostly siblings came along. You invited them knowing that 'little Hyley has a sister Lucy', and that the Mum would bring her too ...

Its either invite siblings, or expect that the child wont be able to come.

Once they are older, its much easier to invite just the friend, as most parents drop and run anyway ... or arrange for another parent to take their kid

That is what happens with us anyway. So for example, it is my DD's birthday party tomorrow, and their are 2 that siblings are invited (because she is good friends with the younger sister also) but various others where the siblings are not.

If in doubt - call the parent. Most of htem will appreciate you just asking, offering to pay for younger child, or advising that you cant go.

Hope you have a good time ... little kids birthday parties are fun (well, unless you are the parent arranging ... then they are a nightmare )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Atlantic Puffin  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    what is a parent meant to do with the siblings then? it is not like childcare centres are open on weekends. the amount of parties 5 year olds get invited to is insane and usually once a fortnight at least so family are not an option and not everyone has a partner who can watch the other children while one parent supervises a child at a party.
    meh
    I think it depends where you live too. In my area most people have smaller living spaces so same than @kw123 I wouldn't bring more child/ren then the one invited to the party.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

kw123  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think that if I had two children I just would find a babysitter or just not go. I understand that people have to cater for each child but it sometimes puts the host under pressure, especially if they need to cater and every second person wants to bring a sibling . Then you feel under pressure to provide more lolly bags or pay for more kids at play centres. It all just gets too much. It did for me anyway. I was always just so relieved when a child just turned up to the party and his siblings were obviously being babysat , maybe that sounds mean but sometimes it's easier to just concentrate on the kids who have been invited .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

kw123  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    what is a parent meant to do with the siblings then? it is not like childcare centres are open on weekends. the amount of parties 5 year olds get invited to is insane and usually once a fortnight at least so family are not an option and not everyone has a partner who can watch the other children while one parent supervises a child at a party.
    I'm not sure why you're getting angry at me? If I had the space it would be no issue. My house is not big. I'm sorry that upsets you. I guess if we have a house party in this house it might mean some of his friends can't come. I imagine we will overcome that by having the party outside the house.

Chill out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    When I have a party for DS1 I always invite the family of his friends. It makes for a big party but it's what our friends all do at this age.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well sometimes just not attend the party if it's all too difficult. Sometimes you just have to say no you can't go.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

kw123  (28-05-2014)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's not the host's problem? If you get invited to so many parties, surely you'd be glad to be able to RSVP no to a few?
    If I knew someone was a single parent I'd put all the kids on the invite, otherwise I'd assume they would make other plans for other siblings. If they can't then I would let them come, but I would expect them to try to find other arrangements.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

kw123  (28-05-2014),NancyBlackett  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I usually just check with the parent beforehand and keep DS2 & 3 separate from the party. I unfortunately cant always just take DS1 as DH works weekends.

I've never had a problem though, DS1 has a mcdonalds party coming up in a few weekz and I'm taking the other 2, we'll just sit separately

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I'm not sure why you're getting angry at me? If I had the space it would be no issue. My house is not big. I'm sorry that upsets you. I guess if we have a house party in this house it might mean some of his friends can't come. I imagine we will overcome that by having the party outside the house.

Chill out.
    I am not angry and i find you insinuating that i am, a tad offensive. I can not see how you came to that conclusion when i was simply stating a fact that comes from birthday parties for this age group.

In the age group 4-7, most parties invite everyone from the class unless it is at a play cafe or mcdonalds and then parents usually pay for the siblings and sit over to the side as a family so the parent can still supervise and the siblings are not part of the party. 4-6 year olds can not be left unsupervised by their parents and most kids do have siblings. This is a fact of life that most parent deals with when their child gets to school but all the parents do.

Some parents choose to have small get togethers with kids at their house after the kids turn 7-8 and then it is expected to drop and run and siblings are not invited.

Most kids parties in the 4-7yr age bracket are low key affairs with a park some food, pass the passel and cake.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on the area you live in. My kids have all been invited to various parties, many of them not appropriate to have extra kids at. I never take the siblings to the party, especially not if it's at someone's house. If it's somewhere that's out, then I might go and sit to the side with the siblings but not join in the party. If we can't make it work with sitters etc. then we just say we can't go.

I know the single mum's with no support in our area generally just buddy up with another mum, and one takes the kids to the party, and the other looks after the siblings at one of the houses.