+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Asthma

Dd has been diagnosed.

Past few nights her coughing is terrible. We are trialing just ventolin at this stage. Tonight she woke up but resettled before I went back in.

Should I be waking up to give her ventolin?

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I happen to go past DD's room and her breathing is really bad, yes I wake her. She is older though and takes her inhaler no problems and then falls back to sleep. Would your DD wake nicely for ventolin or would she be miserable and crying? If it's the latter I would probably leave her but go back in at the first sign of her stirring, ie I would be too nervous to leave them longer than a few minutes, I'd probably hang around waiting for her to stir.
    When you say she resettled, how is her asthma when she's asleep? If she sounds ok I'd leave her. My DD's main symptom is wheezing. So if she were to be asleep and be asthmary, she would be wheezing terribly and working really hard just to breathe, so of course I am going to wake her up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use a silicon mask on the end of the spacer so if dd 2.5yrs is sleeping we can still give her ventolin without waking her up. You can get them at the chemist. They are pretty cheap and works well for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dollypops View Post
    We use a silicon mask on the end of the spacer so if dd 2.5yrs is sleeping we can still give her ventolin without waking her up. You can get them at the chemist. They are pretty cheap and works well for us
    This is what we do as well - I just have a torch and go in as quietly as possible - when DS is bad we have to give him 6 puffs every 3hrs so he will need it at least two to three times over night. He may stir when I pop the mask over his mouth but often won't wake fully.

I got his mask from the chemist but you can also order them online from the Asthma foundation with a matching spacer if getting to a chemist is hard.

Best wishes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used a nebuliser with ds2, but if he was wheezing we would wake him.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app