+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to crash you post OP but bubbles do you mind if I ask you a question???

I had my ds in 2011 and at that time my dr told me to get the whooping cough vaccine straight after I had him which I did. I am thinking of having another bub at the end of 2015 - can I get immunised again for this baby or is it too soon?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    The CDC have been recommending it for every pregnancy in the stages for ages.
    Thanks I might have a read up of everything for and against having it during pregnancy and see what I think from there. Thanks bubblesk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hummingbird1 For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My OB just went to a conference on this recently and they are saying it's absolutely necessary for women to get it in the 3rd trimester. There is plenty of research out there to support it, just not in Aust
    Unfortunately for me, I had the booster in 2011 so can't have it again. Wish I could as I'd be doing it in a heartbeat if it meant my baby had some protection from it.

Edit: I even contacted someone through the Immunise Australia website to ask directly and they said it's ok.
    Last edited by Riss78; 28-05-2014 at 08:26.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Riss78 For This Useful Post:

Atlantic Puffin  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riss78 View Post
    My OB just went to a conference on this recently and they are saying it's absolutely necessary for women to get it in the 3rd trimester. There is plenty of research out there to support it, just not in Aust
    Unfortunately for me, I had the booster in 2011 so can't have it again. Wish I could as I'd be doing it in a heartbeat if it meant my baby had some protection from it.

Edit: I even contacted someone through the Immunise Australia website to ask directly and they said it's ok.

Riss, I had mine in 2011 when there was an outbreak in Bne and I got it again. The drug information team at work said it wasn't necessary as I would still have immunity and anti bodies would be passed onto bub but ob wanted me to have it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, irrespective of whether you get the whooping cough vax in the next few weeks as PPs are suggesting, it is your child and you have every right to determine who you feel comfortable being in close contact with your baby. Don't feel like you're being over the top or paranoid, I know it's very easy to feel that way and to second guess yourself, but with some things in life you just can't be too careful, and a fragile newborn is one of those, in my opinion. I think it would be totally fine to have a 'no vax no visit' policy.

Really interesting to read about the vax now being given in third trimester though, I had it in 2011 in preparation of TTC #1 and I wonder what my OB will want me to do this time around, if anything.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    BubblesK I had the vaccine prior to falling pregnant as it was an IVF pregnancy the FS recommended I get it. It would have only been early/mid last year sometime, can't remember the exact date. So not sure if that would still give my bub immunity.

It's possible that bil did forget, but he gets constant reminders from fil & my DH & he still hasn't done it.

He probably does think he has heaps of time, and realistically he probably does, I'd just like everything like that to be sorted before the baby arrives. I wasn't aware that it takes two weeks before you have full immunity (thanks BubblesK), so I will let DH know that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hummingbird1 View Post
    Im worried about this too. Ppl not getting it etc and dont know what to do.

Bubblesk do u have a link for the whooping cough being given while pregnant? My ob who is very experienced and one of the most recommended at my hospital said they highly recommend mums get it right after birth as there isnt enough research to get it while pregnant?
    I also was advised to wait and get it while pregnant especially as I lived in a low immunisation area and it would provide a small amount of protection for bubs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Hey OP!

If BIL is being slack just do the honest approach. My DP forced all of our families to get the vaccine by being honest and telling them how scary the disease is for newborns and how she's terrified of baby getting it so if they want to see the baby then they have to get the shot. She told them the price and how to most easily get it and then sent them on their merry way. After explaining how she wasn't just paranoid and that whopping cough can kill a baby everyone was surprisingly understanding.

I had the vaccination when I was 36 weeks pregnant with DD as suggested by our midwife. My GP surgery was extremely uncomfortable doing it but I believed the midwives and the CDC and went ahead with it. DD is perfect.

I don't know if someone posted this link already but it cemented my decision and helped me feel great even when the doctor didn't want to give me the needle: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/adults/r...accinated.html

Good luck with you BIL.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Riss78 View Post

I had a booster in May 2010 and was still advised to have it in my third trimester (DS born feb 2014). Amazing how much advice varies!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Op, I asked everyone to get vaccinated. I even went as far (over the top to some) to say no kissing. I get coldsores regularly and so do my parents so I asked for no kissing. I resist kissing him (very hard!!!!) as I've had a few coldsores since having him so I felt it necessary to ask the same of my parents.