+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Birthing class worthwhile for planned c-section ?

Last pregnancy I only made it to 25 weeks, so I had not yet gone to the hospital's birthing class (which they insisted you could only do once reaching 32 weeks). I had an emergency CS under GA so only experienced some frantic prep and nothing of the procedure or birth. I have to have a CS again this time.

For anyone that has had a CS and done some form of hospital birthing class prior, was it worthwhile? Did they explain the procedure? Was it useful for your DH to know what to expect when you were in theatre?

Curious to know to decide if I do a class this time around or not.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm also curious to know as I'm thinking about an elective caesar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did the class for my first who ended up being an emergency c-section and honestly I only remember them going through natural birth and caring for the baby afterwards. I don't think caesarians got much of a mention but each one may be different.

I found it helpful for what to do after the baby arrived I.e breast feeding, wrapping, nappies etc but if I had already gone through this as you had then I wouldn't have spent the money.

When we were going in for the c section my doctor went through everything that was going to happen and I found that the most useful.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

GM01  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havent had a c sec just yet but there was pretty much no mention of them in the class. To be honest I found the classes offered nothing for me since I had already had a bub before.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Demonica For This Useful Post:

GM01  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know some places offer antenatal classes on caesarean on it's own. They don't go into the natural birthing stuff, it's all about the c/s. Perhaps ask around. You'll probably still get something out of it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

GM01  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You might be better off just one doctors/midwives appointment asking them to run through the procedure for an elective caesar.

Once you've had bub and are on the ward, make sure you remind the midwives that your first baby was 25 weeks so this is your first time caring/feeding baby by yourself from day 1. Can be easy for them to forget, especially if they're just told that it's your second baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didnt attend any classes. I was happy with my obs explanation of the procedure. I ended up under GA too but not an emergency situation. Most of my friends felt that the classes were a waste of time and more focus needs to be put on what happens afterwards. I do wish I attended a bf class though which might be useful if this is your preferred feeding method (if I recall correctly you expressed).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Classes at my hospital were as useless as tits on a bull. To be honest I learned more from online forums such as BH...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Oohh... I thought tits would be *** out...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Now you're probably thinking of other slang alternatives to use that wont be *** out. No?